All reviews half board breakfast and dinner meal plan pasta wine tour time share course meal small town tennis courts old mill new friends no air conditioning yogurt beautiful resort rental car the wait staff cooking class
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Rustic hotel and restaurant situated on two sides of the Loro Ciuffena river. The hotel and restaurant staff treat you like family; warm and very helpful.
The accommodations are simple and very Tuscan. Each room has a sitting patio with umbrella, table and chairs. My room was across from the main building and next to the waterfall, so I could hear the sound of water all the time. For me, it was calming.
The meal plan is very good. Breakfast buffet is more than the usual Italian style; breads, croissants, fruit tarts, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, salumi, ham, yogurts, fruits, juices, and daily flan or soufflé. If you’re leaving too early for the 8:30-10 sitting, they will package a breakfast picnic the night before. Dinner is served outside under the big canopy tent, weather permitting. You choose your appetizer, first and second courses from two options each, and one dessert. It was very good.
I also went on the wine tour, that the hotel offers as an extra. It’s total about 80€ with cost of lunch and separate charge for entry to the castle. I highly recommend this tour; you’ll not be disappointed.
I also took the cooking class from the restaurant’s chef, Massimo. He’s so much fun and loves what he does. I learned to make a vegetable soufflé, fresh hand-cut pasta, ravioli, tortellini, capellini, and four sauces. Oh yes, and chocolate lava cake. Again, if you enjoy cooking, I recommend this. It’s only two hours.

The biggest attraction for staying here is the town of Loro Ciuffena. It is most unique of all the towns I visited during my Tuscan vacation; nothing like it. It offers quaintness, beauty, scenery unlike any other town, and friendly locals. The gelato spot next to the main bridge is a local hangout for gelato and the pre-dinner appertivo, a negroni type drink served with little appetizer bites.
There’s a lot to see in town and nearby areas. I had a rental car and opted for a WiFi hotspot, which never failed to get me everywhere I visited without getting lost. Better than GPS. I used my Waze app. Other guests took the bus and trains to visit Florence, Rome and Venice without much difficulty.
Everyone speaks English at the hotel, but not necessarily in town. I listened to a CD course to learn basic Italian before the trip, and found it very helpful. I understood more than I could speak, but was able to ask directions, order food, and extend common courtesies.
I’ve posted pictures of my room and the hotel, along with some of the town.
I would definitely stay at the residence when I return to Tuscany.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Lorna M
RESIDENCELAFERRIERA, Proprietario at Residence La Ferriera, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Thank you Lorna, its was a pleasure to meet you and I hope to see you again soon.

Kisses and Big Hug

Reviewed 31 May 2018

We spent a week here and didn't want to leave. If you are looking for a 5 star resort look elsewhere. If you are looking for a resort that is family run by sister and brother, Virginia and Tommaso (both of them are amazing) with a great staff then this place is for you. We felt like one big happy family and met a lot of new friends during our stay. This old mill has been converted to apartments so it is rustic and charming. We stayed in what I believe is the best apartment 9 (second floor) that overlooks the waterfall. We slept with the doors open every night. There are now ceiling fans in the bedroom. I was apprehensive about the mandatory half board since we did a timeshare trade but I can say it was totally worth it. Plenty of gourmet food (4 courses) and you were given a menu where you could select your choices. Special thank you to our server Gracia that was so helpful during our stay. I never tired of the breakfast spread every morning and we are missing that morning cappuccino. It's a short walk to the cute town of Loro Cuffiena. A rental car is a must; that was half of the fun was driving everywhere. We did laundry while we were there which was 8 euros per load including wash and dry (detergent is provided). Our rooms were cleaned on Tuesday and Thursday. The wine tour is offered on Wednesday and Thursday. We took the wine tour with Benjamin and it filled up quickly. If 8 people go it's 50 euros per person and so worth it.The Cooking class is offered on Tuesday and Friday. We rented through Hertz and got a GPS (in English). All the wine we sampled was very good. We loved this resort so much we are hoping to come back soon. Grazie!

Room tip: I researched and requested Room 9 on the second floor with a covered outside patio and an outside door in the bedroom. Very quiet
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank kcrum

Hi dear and absoutely thank you for your words. I wait you soon and don't forget to write me soon.

Kisses and Big Hug from all of us

Reviewed 25 May 2018

We stayed here in MAY 2018. This is a really good hotel - we had three rooms. All spotlessly clean - Cleaned and towels changed twice in our week there. The rooms are rustically furnished one or two of the ladies thought a chair or dressing table in the bedrooms would not have gone amiss - I did not really notice, my clothes were fine piled on the suitcase. The hotel is in a great location - just outside a lovely quiet village - not that easy to find on first attempt - but keep your eyes open there are plenty of signs for it. It is well located for all the major towns - Florence - Sienna - Arezzo etc are not too far away - you DO need a car though. We went through INTERVAL INTERNATIONAl which includes a mandatory half board pakage. The breakfast was fine, buffet style - evening meal four courses (you have a choice for each course) and I found the food fine, some courses better than others. The younger children were a bit dubious, and it may not be the best system for the younger ones. One night the service was extremely slow - 90 mins and only one course had appeared - but that was a one off no idea what had gone wrong - not ideal with children though - the rest of the week was fine. The staff here are great - very friendly and helpful. Virginia on reception speaks perfect English and cannot do too much to help. We had a GREAT week here and will certainly go again One TIP I would give to which you can ignore is if going to FLORENCE most info says do not take the car as parking is limited. Some say take the train from MONTEVARCHI - we tried that (the station is not that easy to find) and we really struggled to find a parking space at the station - so just thought blow it we will drive - got onto the motorway - kept travelling north - past a few FLORENCE turns and saw a sign which said 'Tram into FLORENCE' - thought that sounded like a plan. Turned off the motorway into a big car park bang next to motorway. 5 euros to park car all day - 1.60 euros for the tram - which took no more than 30 mins to take us right into the middle of FLORENCE. The last stop is next to the Railway station. EASY PEASY - trams run about every fifteen mins. I thought it was a great discovery. Thanks to VIRGINIA and all of her team.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you Chris for your words, you are super and I hope to see you again soooner!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in contact

Big Hug from La Ferriera

Reviewed 14 May 2018

We swapped our timeshare to stay for a week in August 2017. The half board food was very good, but our accommodations were not. Our apartment was right above the restaurant/bar. Since the Residence is a restored iron mill, it sits on a creek. As a result, there were many mosquitoes. Our apartment had no screens on the windows and no air conditioning. Our family of four had to beg the management to get an extra fan so everyone in the family could sleep. We also had to invest in insect repellant. The bill for the week was $1894, so we paid $270 per night for half-board to be eaten alive by mosquitos. The other apartments had AC and clearly were more upscale. Our apartment, like our experience, was simply horrendous. Beautiful area to visit but we wished we had stayed elsewhere.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank WanderingBird
RESIDENCELAFERRIERA, Proprietario at Residence La Ferriera, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

It is really ridiculous to read these words. However I can say that all the apartments have electric shovels attached to the ceiling as air conditioning and therefore for all the apartments is the same treatment. Second thing you make me smile when you come to the country and complain about mosquitoes and ants, this is the countryside.
Think about it before starting some holidays, here people love nature. If they see two ants we set in immediately with things on purpose and all solved. If there are mosquitoes it is absolutely normal to protect yourself with the spray on purpose, I have no words.

Best Regards

Reviewed 9 May 2018

We found this through Interval International, and had a weeks time share to use, so booked here. We did not regret it - we had a great time. This is an old mill that has been converted to 16 separate apartments - different sizes; we had a 2 bedroom - 2 bath, since we were traveling with another couple. The accommodations were clean and spacious - nothing fancy, but comfortable. The setting is gorgeous and charming, set next to a river and waterfall, waking distance down a beautiful drive, to the village. We had the meal plan, which included continental breakfast and dinner each night - no complaints, both were great. Dinner included 4 courses - and for the most part were quite good and totally enjoyable. You can order wine from their wine list, great selections - and depending on what wine you order, the presentation is really great - with great care given to proper wine prep and pouring. The staff was excellent - they were so accommodating and helpful - and Virginia is extremely helpful and willing to offer advice and recommendations for the days activities. We took advantage ot the wine tour they offer, which was the hi-lite of our week, our driver Benjamin was great - and the places he took us to were all fantastic.. We drank some great wines that day and had a terrific lunch while we were out - this was a very full day.. We also did the cooking class there, lead by their in house chef - Massimo. We loved it - he was fantastic.. Amazing what he gets done in that small kitchen,, All in all, I would definitely recommend this place - if you're looking for something a little different in an out of the way local charm atmosphere..
Thanks again Virginia - for a great week.,

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve H

Hi Steve and thank you very much for your words. I love this review. I hope you will be back soon.

Don't forget to write me soon.

Warmly,