11 people are viewing this hotel
US$817
Expedia.comUS$817
Trip.comUS$836
eDreamsUS$836
All reviews plunge pool my husband and i pura vida costa rica our honeymoon golf cart breathtaking views main pool top notch sugar beach luis diego sunset villa ceviche mal pais the entire staff watch the sunset special shout
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 November 2018

Everything exceeded out expectations. The staff was unbelievably friendly and professional. The view is as good as it gets. Perfect negative edge pool that was never crowded. The food was amazing and very fresh. Will return soon.

Date of stay: November 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 November 2018

Casa Chameleon is a beautiful, friendly resort with 'knock your socks off' views.

I'm rating it a 5 star because I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from going even though I have a few comments that might not be considered 100% positive.

It absolutely IS a 5 star resort in many of the most important aspects and that is what matters.

Staff: The staff is absolutely lovely. Kind, attentive, friendly. Ask and you shall receive. We spent 8 days and 7 nights during low season but there was always a staff member at hand ready and willing to get you anything you needed with a smile and a Pura Vida for good measure.

Grounds: Since we were there at the end of the green season, everything was lush and beautiful. The main pool is designed to provide you with an amazing view of Costa Rica's mind blowing sunsets. There is a nightly gong ceremony as the sun sets that seems a bit cliche when you first hear about it but is borderline spiritual the first time you see it. Just trust me (and every other review that mentions it), it's something to behold and no pictures, no matter how well they are taken, can do it justice.

Since the resort is so intimate and exclusive, there is no problem getting a chair or cabana and, although we didn't participate, there is a drink hour of sorts that occurs on the restaurant level (above the pool area) where people gather as well.

Accommodations: Just beautiful. The patio has your private saltwater plunge pool. The resort provides a special floatie that defies physics and provides you with flotation without being bulky and gauche (No need to ruin the ambiance with your poop emoji floatie). You are provided with Yoga mats and small hand weights. There are two chaises, a nice deep couch, a small table with chairs. The patio alone is spacious and comfortable.

The inside is just like every picture you see. Big beautiful bed with a mosquito net (which we used every night - probably mostly because it just felt neat). Plenty of drawers - smallish closet though (for hanging). There's a fridge/minibar etc. I have some issues with the setup but I'll talk about them later.

Amenities: If you're like me and love taking home shampoos and lotions from the hotel, you're out of luck. : ) One of the most amazing things about the resort, and Costa Rica in general, is the Conservation ethos. There is shampoo, body wash, conditioner, lotion - even natural bug spray, but it is all refilled as you use it rather than provided in little plastic bottles. Honestly, this is a positive complaint - LOL. I would have loved to bring home some of the products but appreciate that they don't have a lot of waste.

Food: I'll start this by saying I am not a foodie but my boyfriend is. He loved every single meal we had at Sentido Norte from the complimentary breakfast, to "snacks" at poolside, to amazing gourmet dinners. The food, even in my limited culinary appreciation, was top notch, locally sourced, super fresh and served as you like it. I don't care for certain foods so I often requested some sort of change to the meal (ie: no tomatoes, no onions) and they always accommodated every request. My body loved how fresh and clean all of the food was.

The rest of this review is all subjective. Consider these simply comments, items of notice that I, personally, wish I'd paid more attention to when I was looking at reviews. They might not matter at all to some people but I wish someone had posted more about them.

We stayed in the lower tier of the Sunset bungalows. This gave us amazing sunset views but also meant that from about 1pm till sunset, the patio is full sun. It's just inescapable if you're outside. Since you're about 10 inches from the sun, it's very hot and UV exposure is considered "extreme".
Being on the lower tier also means that you walk 60 or so steps up and down every time you want to leave your room. If you're healthy and/or young, this might not seem like a big deal. For me and my knees, it got to be difficult - particularly if i was dressed up for dinner and in heels. ALSO - and I can't stress this enough - the steps are steep, barely lit and the walkway is narrow. You can use your phone light to help but everything around you is pitch black by about 6pm so if your phone is the only light in the vicinity, anything flying around wants to check it out. If you aren't worried about bugs, that's great, but I almost fell a few times.
About the bugs - There are mosquitos in abundance but the bugs I struggled with were the grasshoppers. They are huge and I'm terrified of them (for no good reason) and the walkways are narrow and dimly lit and there is foliage on both sides. During the day, I tried to just walk through it without looking sideways. At night, I avoided using my phone light and risked falling down the stairs.
The restaurant is open air and, again, the only real light in the vicinity. During dinner, you're plagued by mosquitos, ants and anything else that crawls or flies. There are many geckos running around the ceiling and on the walls (this didn't bother me) but everything is trying to eat everything else in Costa Rica and it can be daunting if you aren't prepared.
Newer resorts seem to feel that if you're on a romantic vacation with your significant other, it's totally okay to have no privacy at all. (This is not exclusive to Casa Chameleon). The bungalow has an open ceiling throughout and the toilet is hidden from the glass shower/outside by a pony wall but otherwise out in the open. I sent my boyfriend out on to the patio many times while we were there so I could have some semblance of privacy. I will be thrilled when resorts stop using that design. It just makes things awkward.
As amazing as the food is at Sentido Norte, it's expensive. For someone like me who prefers simple food, I wasn't able to appreciate it as much as other people. The resort in general is high end so I suppose it should be expected that the food be expensive as well.
The only other thing to comment on is the noise. They are building the town of Las Catalinas below the resort and the Costa Rican work day seems to be from Sun up to Sun down 7 days a week. It gets to a point where it becomes background noise but, there is no doubt, it is constant during the day. Since we were on the lower tier, there was a building going up right below our patio. The resort has privacy canvas which keeps most of the work from being seen but regardless, I watched several workman while I lounged in the pool. If I can see them, they can probably see me. I never felt uncomfortable but its something to be aware of when asking for your room. The bungalows are placed well within the resort so you barely notice other guests but I was surprised by just how much activity and noise happened during daylight hours.

So, to finish this off, I found Casa Chameleon beautiful and luxurious and the staff amazingly friendly. I loved that it was adults only and small and intimate but found the wildlife to be more than I was really comfortable with. If that sort of thing doesn't bother you then definitely put this resort on your list. It is a great 5 star experience.

Room tip: If steps are an issue, let check in staff know. Sunset villas are amazing but all sun all afternoon.
Date of stay: November 2018
4  Thank michelep926
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

We don’t even know where to begin other than stating that our experience and stay at this hotel was like heaven on earth. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and the location of this hotel exceeded what we could have ever imagined! The views are beyond breathtaking, the staff is beyond gracious, and the hotel was stunning.
Food was to die for!!!!
We booked our trip for our honeymoon that began on October 15 and lasted thru the 20th. We got to experience the slow season which was perfect!!! There were times that felt as if we had the whole place to ourselves. We arrived during the rainy season which was so romantic! And the last few days we got the sunny side of Costa Rica. Our goal was to do nothing and to just eat drink relax repeat and we did just that. The room is so comfortable, the plunge pool and view of the sunset was spectacular!!!! We booked a massage in our room and a chefs tasting. The staff was so accommodating and gave us tips on local things to do. The beach is a very short 2 minute drive and we had the beach view from our room too. Everything was so clean and lush. I wish I could remember everyone’s name to give them kudos on excellent service, however a shout to Clayton and Einer, the Chef, the Sommelier and all our drivers. This place exceeded our expectations! We are already planning an anniversary trip back!!!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2018

Casa Chameleon is a wonderful and relaxing adult only hotel. We recently returned from our trip to Costa Rica. We stayed at Casa Chameleon for 5 days and then stayed at Hotel Sugar Beach (next door) for one evening to hang out with friends.Quiet and peaceful are an understatement to describe the vibe. The landscape and attention to detail at Casa Chameleon are on a different level. I love the fact that the resort isn't pretentious. It's well-balanced. The staff was amazing!!! I called Tony a few times before we arrived with a million questions and he was always kind. Diego, Eduardo and the waiters at the restaurant were all fantastic and friendly!

Each day, my husband and I would take a dip in the plunge pool, drink some sparkling wine and wait for the sunset. The sky was gorgeous, even though it was rainy/off season. The resort is immaculate. The room was beautiful, well maintained and clean. There were mosquitoes and no see um bugs but, the resort provided a hotel and I brought a host of repellent products.

Options for breakfast and dinner at the restaurant were tasty. However, dinner and drinks at the restaurant were pricey. As an alternative, we had lunch and dinner at Limonda or at Sugar Beach. We also arranged transportation to Tamarindo and had late lunch there. Since Casa Chameleon is in Las Catalinas, transportation costs can add up. I definitely would not have felt comfortable driving a rental in the area due to the bumpy road and rain. So, it was a bit of a trade off to pay for a driver. We found that we could arrange a driver at Sugar Beach for a cheaper price than at Casa Chameleon. Other than that, we had a wonderful time and we would definitely return because of the resort and more importantly because the people were so friendly.

Reviewed 26 October 2018

We love to stay at small, adult only hotels when traveling to Costa Rica, and we were not disappointed in our choice to stay at Casa Chameleon. It was an easy trip from Liberia Airport, and there was amazing natural beauty in every direction from the hotel. We stayed in a Villa Suite, and the room is very large and comfortable, especially for the price. The purpose of our trip was to sport fish and see Rincon de la Vieja National Park. The tours arranged by the hotel were awesome. The guides were friendly and professional, and every aspect of the tours were well managed.I originally hesitated to book because of the reviews of the restaurant. We were extremely pleased to learn that they have been in the process of revamping their menu and offerings from when I had booked many months ago. There were plenty of selections at every meal. The Chef prepared a dinner for us with the fish we caught on our tour. He surprised us with the menu, and it was phenomenal. We even had a special wine pairing private dinner designed by the Chef and the Assistant Restaurant Manager, Erick, who is a Sommelier. I cannot even begin to list everyone who we encountered during our stay. Everyone at Casa Chameleon made our stay special. Every single staff person is friendly and warm and welcoming! We will absolutely consider returning to this area and hotel in our future visits to Costa Rica! Pura Vida!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel