“Nice people, great experience”

The Boatshed Kayaks
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: the Boatshed Kayaks,was set up by Richard Clark in 2000, on his property on the edge of Lake Karapiro. We offer a number of different kayaking and stand up paddle board options from our great waterfalls trip to our evening glow worm experience, just flick through our website to get a better idea for whats available. Lake Karapiro offers an exellent venue with sheltered waters and 15 km of lake to explore. making it a safe and beautiful environment to try something new. our guides and instructors are fully qualified in both flat water and graded river paddleing so if your wanting to explore some of the lower sections of the waikato river between cambridge and hamilton youll be in safe hands. The Boatshed kayaks is also involved in multisport training and hire and has been training grade 2 paddlers for over 8 years, with a huge number of paddlers experiencing their introduction to kayaking through The Boatshed.The ethos at the Boatshed has always been on getting people out there paddling, young and old, and therefore growing kayaking as a sport or recreational activity.
Reviewed 6 May 2017

We hired two individual kayaks and took ourselves off to the nearby creeks with waterfalls. The waterfalls themselves are fairly small and not wildly exciting, but the creeks are extremely pretty, with thickets of tree ferns, king fishers and the feeling you were in Jurassic park! The sea kayaks were easy to handle (neither my son or I have any significant kayaking experience) and the team were friendly and flexible. Highly recommended!

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"a lot of fun"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Last night my husband & I took a kayaking tour to see the glow worms. It was Pure Magic. There were only 4 kayaks, 7 tourists and 1 guide. Our guide was a young chap who is extremely well versed in the entire area and it's history. We all slowly paddled & had a great laugh up stream through a narrow canyon to a flat spot, where we landed & he made a warm fire. We all chatted & snacked on cheese, crackers and toasted marhmallows, which was paired with a choice of a lovely white wine or hot chocolate. We then got back into our kayaks, held the sides of each others and created a raft. With our guide's strength and knowledge we floated towards the canyon. It was a perfectly clear night. The glow worms were in full force, glowing like stars among the brush of the canyon walls. At every corner there was the bright glow of the worms hoping to attrach a bite to eat, as well as providing a brilliant light show. The oooo's & ahhh's of the 7 of us was in tune with the soft lapping of the water around us. A Stunning & Beautiful experience. Much better than that of a standard tourist location. Just pure magic. <3

1  Thank Anabanana1966
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

The Boatshed (Richard and Phoebe) treated us to a wonderful kayak experience after racing at World Masters Games at Lake Karapiro last week. Running late after medal ceremony they waited for us (separate groups), short briefing then we paddled at dusk up a small tributary into a wonderful fairyland of glow worm lights. Staff were very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. Short trip of about two hours means accessible to all ages and abilities. A definite must if in the Cambridge - Waikato region.

Richard C, Owner at The Boatshed Kayaks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2017

Hi Gillian ,I,m glad you enjoyed ,and are pleased you could fit it in .Thanks again .Cheers Richard

Reviewed 3 April 2017

A thoroughly enjoyable experience. The guides were were patient and accommodating for all on the trip. Our guides knowledge of the area, glow worms and wild life was really good. Sorry I cant remember his name (T-something - sorry) The canopy of glow worms on our way back down was just magical, and that alone makes it worth while doing. Very beautiful. I would have liked to have seen an alternative non alcoholic beverage offered. Like juice or something. The camp fire was a perfect opportunity for introductions and getting to know and involve people (tourists especially) that was not utilised. Just my feed back. However this is a trip well worth doing.