“Clean & comfy”
The tire swing at Lyons
Shows Proximity to the Beach
View from Ross Lane
Geese in the distance
Covehead Harbour - 2km away - Go deep sea fishing, buy fresh seafood or eat at Richard's Eatery
A view looking East on our site
The 'Sea Captain'
Tractor Wheel
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
Hedley007
Garland, Texas
“"Caveat Emptor" Or "Let the Renter Beware"”
Reviewed 24 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

We booked a cottage well in advance and explained that our 19 year old son was traveling with us, so we wanted privacy.
This was to be a family get-away and combination 25th Wedding Anniversary, celebration trip.
I mailed a deposit to hold one of the cottages (I was told that they had one that would work well for us) and it sounded wonderful, as described to us.
When we checked in, I made the mistake of not asking to see the cottage, first, so gave the balance to the young man.
Had I seen it, I would have asked for my money back and left.
What we were given (for the first night, I will explain), was a shed-like structure, that was un-finished on the inside, and had minimal electrical capabilities (we only got a microwave when we asked for it).
After seeing this (my wife and son were deeply disappointed) I was told that they had no other ones (2 bedroom) that were better.
(Seriously, we could see through the particle board between the bedrooms).
The young man told me that this was typical of a "cottage" environment "BUT" I could have a 3 Bedroom Cottage (Much more private) for another $200.00, for the week.
I told him I would like to talk with his father, who he said would be there the next day.
Half an hour later the son came to the "cottage" and offered me the 3 Bedroom for $150.00 extra.
I reluctantly accepted and we stayed for several nights.
We were also informed that we would only have one set of towels each for the week.
The brochure says "housekeeping" and this apparently does not include extra towels, even though it rained a lot and we were very cold and damp (hard to dry towels with no dryer).
As far as we were concerned, there was "No Housekeeping" as nobody there that would come and empty the trash (we were responsible).
We finally gave up and went further south on the island where we had a much better time.
We feel very misled and hurt.
This was not a good experience and we cannot recommend this place.
The walk to the beach was minimal and it was quiet (A Plus!).
Do not expect any "perks" here.
This is "no-frills," just above camping.
A very sad stay, in light of our Wedding Anniversary.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Short walk to beach.
Liked least: Lack of housekeeping.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
14 May 2014
For those reading, I would like to clarify a few of the statements made by this guest above and I'd also like to tell you a little bit about Lyons and what it is we do offer - so as not to “mislead” anyone.

Lyons Cottages has been in my family for 2 generations (now working on the 3rd!) and I operate them on behalf of my parents with the help of my better half and our 2 children. Together, we do everything from the cleaning and laundry to the gardening and lawn mowing - it's truly a family business!

While we do not boast luxury accommodations, the “perks” you will find here are simple, yet, priceless. Things like our commitment to cleanliness – a trait appreciated by all of our guests and often referred to in reviews such as these. Our proximity to the beach – walk from your cottage to miles of white sandy beaches that are free of charge! Our cottage grounds – enjoy the gardens on 2.5 acres of neatly manicured landscape. Our location – situated in the heart of PEI we are within 25 km of both Charlottetown and Cavendish putting you close to some of the island's most popular attractions.

Our primary focus at Lyons is to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay - we want you to have the same wonderful memories of summer on PEI that we do! In hopes that we meet all of your needs while here, I personally inquire with each guest (at least once) during their stay to see if there is anything that they need. I also provide my cell # upon check-in for guests to call, day or night, should anything be needed. On top of that, I live on-site, come and see me anytime!

I remember this guest quite clearly, as I was sure I had gone above and beyond to satisfy him and his family. When he asked me for a microwave shortly after his arrival, I brought one to his cottage right away (not all of our cottages come with a microwave due to limited counter space). When I delivered the microwave, he mentioned the need for more power outlets (which I understand as now people have phone chargers, laptops etc) so I delivered a multi-outlet power-bar to him, again, right away.

A few minutes later, he came to my cottage and mentioned that the cottage was private enough for him and his wife. I was confused by this because I specifically booked him into a cottage with a large front yard that had no neighbors on either side to maximize privacy. He clarified for me that it was his adult son he was hoping to have privacy from as it was the couple's anniversary. I take full responsibility for this misunderstanding, as I assumed he meant privacy from other guests, at the time of booking.

I had a larger 3BR opening up the following day that I offered and informed him it costs $200 more. He mentioned they had not budgeted for the added expense and I, who has also traveled with my family on a tight budget, decided to offer him a 25% discount (as well as absorbing the cost of cleaning/laundering 2 cottages for one guest). I did not want his family to be uncomfortable and felt it was worth it if it made them happy. They accepted and moved into the 3BR by day 2 of their visit.

The following day, when the guest asked for what would have been his 3rd set of towels in just as many days, I informed him that there is an additional charge for daily towel service – he did not wish to pay the fee. Please note, that we do provide a complimentary mid-week towel exchange for guests upon request.

As to ensure maximum privacy for our guests, we do not enter a cottage once rented, however, extra trash bags are provided for each receptacle within the cottage and each cottage is equipped with a large trash bin outside that is emptied twice a week.

When I asked this guest if he needed anything else throughout the rest of his stay, he said no and I thought that at this point he was satisfied. Mission accomplished, or so I thought - I realize that you cannot please everyone all the time and will have to just accept this as one of those cases. Please don't base your decision on this review alone, read on and see what others have to say...we'd love to have you stay with us!
Magog

Ontario
Reviewed 15 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Recommended for:
People with disabilities Older travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing