Kamahi Cottage
Redwood Lodge(Otorohanga)
US$113
Otorohanga and Waitomo Motels(Otorohanga)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$62
Waitomo Stays(Otorohanga)
US$89
Priceline
Caves Motor Inn(Waitomo Caves)
US$79
  • Restaurant
Woodlyn Park(Waitomo Caves)
US$124
Kiwi Paka(Waitomo Caves)
US$69
US$50
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnew zealandour honeymoonone nightrolling hillsthe main housewaitomo caveshammock chairsheaven on earthfront porchgracious hostsmagical placesouth islandlemon treefell in loveloft bedroomcomforts of homewarm hospitality
Reviewed 5 May 2016

My family of four had the most amazing stay here. The cottage and property are beyond beautiful. I spend so much time enjoying the gardens and sitting in the hammocks with a glass of wine. Liz is the ultimate hostess, we were warmly welcomed and cared for. My only regret is we stayed just for one night. I hope to visit this enchanting cottage again for a longer stay.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2016

I must remember to follow your tip and go and sit in the hammock with a glass of wine! Thanks so much for your review. I hope we meet again.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

We spent 2 nights at Kamahi Cottage during our Honeymoon in New Zealand. We chose to stay in the Otorhanga area since it is near the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves. There are not many nice hotel options in the area, so I was thrilled when I came across this 5 star rated B&B. I emailed to get more information on the cottage and Liz responded to my email within hours. I was incredibly impressed at how responsive Liz was to all of my emails and questions. I don't think an email went more than 8 hours without being responded to.

The pictures of the cottage do not do it justice. It is a beautiful space and the perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of Auckland, where we had most recently been staying. When we arrived at the cottage there was chocolate cake waiting for us on the table and a lemon tart waiting in the refrigerator. Both were excellent. After driving and doing some hiking on the day we arrived we loved being able to sit back and enjoy relaxing in the cottage. At night it was incredibly peaceful and quiet and since there is minimal ambient light we were able to see more stars than I am used to seeing. We live in the busy San Francisco Area in California so this quiet farm getaway was incredible!

Both mornings Liz made us breakfast and brought it over to the cottage. We had the option to dine in the main house or dine privately in the cottage, and since it was our honeymoon we opted for the latter. The food was very tasty. She is a fabulous cook!

For the remainder of our honeymoon we stayed only at hotels. My husband kept commenting that he missed the cottage. It was so nice to have the extra space of the downstairs living area separate from our bedroom. We also liked how quiet and peaceful it was there. We truly were able to unwind and relax.

I cannot say enough about how beautiful the cottage is and how kind and accommodating our hosts, Liz and Evan, were. I hope we make it back to New Zealand at some point in our lifetime and if we do I would love to stay at the cottage again. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah C
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2016

I'm so glad we made your stay relaxing and enjoyable. You were wonderful guests!

Reviewed 5 April 2016

An absolute delight, would love to have stayed there for longer. Beautiful cottage in idyllic peaceful surroundings, great hostess, Elisabeth's breakfast was excellent. Although this cottage was a short distance from Waitomo caves it was well worth it, the need to relax after the caving experience was provided by the comfort of the cottage.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2016

Thanks very much for the kind feedback.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

We chose this B&B to get a sense of the countryside. The property was beautiful. The proprietors, Liz and Evan, were gracious and full of information about the area. The grounds were magnificent, casual and breathtaking. We stayed in the 'cottage, which was a guest house next to the main house; the sleeping area is upstairs. The next morning we went to the main house for a delicious breakfast. Driving up the driveway was interesting as it is a narrow road and being from the USA, we were already challenged driving on the opposite side of the road. I recommend this B&B for a delightful getaway from city life. Liz and Evan were wonderful!

Room Tip: The room is a guest house.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Thank you so much for staying and sharing your thoughts...

Reviewed 24 March 2016

My husband and I just returned from several weeks vacationing in New Zealand and one of the most memorable and enjoyable highlights was our "farm stay" with Liz and Evan. We were reluctant to experiment with idea of a farm stay, but our travel coordinator strongly encouraged us to put Kamahi Cottage on the list. Located in the small community of Otorohanga and minutes from Watomo Caves, the setting was picturesque and comforting to the soul. Our accommodation was a stand-alone cottage a short delightful walk from the main house. The cottage has a living room, kitchenette and bathroom on the main level and lofted bedroom above. The real attraction, however, are the two wonderful people who served as our hosts. Liz welcomed us with freshly baked goodies and started our days with a delicious, wholesome breakfast. She is a fabulous chef and will prepare your evening meals to perfection. Her wine selections are excellent. Evan spent an hour driving us through his farm and explaining the operations of the family cattle and sheep farm. Most of all, we enjoyed getting to know Liz and Evan and hearing about the interesting history of their family. My husband particularly enjoyed having a wee dram of Scotch whisky with Evan who is not only a connoisseur of fine spirits but can distill a few himself. Liz even went out of her way to ensure a left behind article was delivered to us in Auckland. We strongly recommend Kamahi Cottage and hosts Liz and Evan. Their hospitality is extraordinary.

Stayed: March 2016
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

So glad your "left behind" article finally reached you! We really enjoyed your company, dram of whiskey and all!