Kamahi Cottage
Otorohanga and Waitomo Motels(Otorohanga)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$80
Priceline
Glow Worm Motel(Waitomo Caves)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$76
Hotwire.com
Caves Motor Inn(Waitomo Caves)
US$93
Hotels.com
Kiwi Paka(Waitomo Caves)
US$72
  • Restaurant
Waitomo Caves Hotel(Waitomo Caves)
US$81
US$74
Agoda.com
Rosetown Motel(Te Awamutu)(Great Value!)
US$95
Agoda.com
Park Lodge Motel(Te Awamutu)
US$71
  • Room Service
US$64
US$250
All reviewsnew zealandour honeymoonone nightrolling hillswaitomo cavesthe main househammock chairsheaven on earthfront porchgracious hostssouth islandlemon treemagical placeloft bedroomcomforts of homeplum schnappswarm hospitality
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2016

My husband and I just returned from several weeks vacationing in New Zealand and one of the most memorable and enjoyable highlights was our "farm stay" with Liz and Evan. We were reluctant to experiment with idea of a farm stay, but our travel coordinator strongly encouraged us to put Kamahi Cottage on the list. Located in the small community of Otorohanga and minutes from Watomo Caves, the setting was picturesque and comforting to the soul. Our accommodation was a stand-alone cottage a short delightful walk from the main house. The cottage has a living room, kitchenette and bathroom on the main level and lofted bedroom above. The real attraction, however, are the two wonderful people who served as our hosts. Liz welcomed us with freshly baked goodies and started our days with a delicious, wholesome breakfast. She is a fabulous chef and will prepare your evening meals to perfection. Her wine selections are excellent. Evan spent an hour driving us through his farm and explaining the operations of the family cattle and sheep farm. Most of all, we enjoyed getting to know Liz and Evan and hearing about the interesting history of their family. My husband particularly enjoyed having a wee dram of Scotch whisky with Evan who is not only a connoisseur of fine spirits but can distill a few himself. Liz even went out of her way to ensure a left behind article was delivered to us in Auckland. We strongly recommend Kamahi Cottage and hosts Liz and Evan. Their hospitality is extraordinary.

Stayed: March 2016
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

So glad your "left behind" article finally reached you! We really enjoyed your company, dram of whiskey and all!

Reviewed 24 March 2016 via mobile

We stayed at Kamahi Cottage for our final two nights of our honeymoon and it was wonderful. The property is straight from a storybook and the cottage is so picturesque and charming. The home was very clean and the bed was so comfortable! Elisabeth and her husband were such lovely hosts and Elisabeth cooked really delicious homemade breakfasts, helped make reservations for us in Waitomo and told us about different activities to do! They had these comfortable hammock chairs on the porch where we drank coffee every morning and champagne every evening while staring out at such a beautiful landscape! It was quiet, relaxing and peaceful. It's one place we would drive out of our way to go back to visit - we absolutely loved it!!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple

We'd love you to come back and visit. Thanks so much for your very kind comments.

Reviewed 15 March 2016

If you are planning to spend a night near the Waitomo Caves and can fit it into your budget, you should definitely stay here. We loved it! We arrived about 30 minutes later than expected, and Liz was right there to greet us and make us feel at home. She was very accommodating regarding the timing of our meals, and the food was outstanding. During a conversation at breakfast, I asked her about Flat White coffee, which I had discovered for the first time a day earlier. Wouldn't you know, she whipped one up for me without my asking! The cottage was comfortable, roomy, and well-appointed. No details are overlooked. The stairs even have motion-sensitive lights that turn on in case you need to use them in the night. (I tested them, and they worked!) My wife and I have stayed at many nice places, but the warmth and hospitality we received here was a level above.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2016

I'm so glad I managed to make that "flat white" coffee to your satisfaction. (New Zealand does claim it as a Kiwi invention!) ...it was a real pleasure to have you both stay. Thank you very much for your generous feedback.

Reviewed 6 March 2016

Kamahi Cottage lives up to its 5 star farm stay rating, if I had the choice to choose 6 stars i would. It was definitely my favourite place to stay in our 2 weeks travelling through New Zealand. The food was fantastic and Liz catered to my dietary needs with tasty and delicious choices. The gardens are just gorgeous, we kept trying to photograph the bumblebees with some success. Sitting on the porch in the relaxing hammocks with a glass of wine was bliss. Just a short drive to Waitomo Caves another of our favourite places in New Zealand. Would definitely return to this picture perfect piece of New Zealand. Can't recommend highly enough

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth C, Owner at Kamahi Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

So glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm so glad I managed to find the right recipes to cater for your gluten-free needs. I know how hard it can be to find just what you need while travelling...

Reviewed 25 February 2016

Of the nine places we stayed during our two-week trip throughout New Zealand my wife and I agreed that this was our favorite accommodation. The cottage was immaculately clean and well appointed, the location is naturally beautiful, and Liz and Evan's hospitality was kind and authentic. There is exceptional attention to detail throughout the cottage including an upstairs fan, screens on some of the windows to allow fresh air in without inviting bugs, and lights on the staircase up to the bedroom.

We had a wonderful evening sitting at the outdoor table Liz had set up overlooking the countryside for our dinner. Not be outdone by the surroundings and views, her cooking was equally pleasant and it was a pleasure to spend the evening talking to her and Evan before retiring for a comfortable night's rest before continuing on our vacation journey.

We were unaware of the family history that exists on the land that their house and cottage sits on and we wish we would have had more time to learn about and see it, so we would certainly recommend spending more than one night here if you are able.

1  Thank RMIgolfer

We really enjoyed sharing time with you both. Thanks so much for your lovely comments.