Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Awesome!

The Troll Caves were so much fun, especially for the kids! Our tour guide Peter was awesome and... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
SamanthaSoutheyOlsen
Hamilton, New Zealand
Tumu Tumu Tubing

Great day doing the tubing. Few tight squeezes but they are brief so doable! Amazing caverns with... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago

from US$116.85
from US$40.42
from US$58.06
1,541 results
All reviews lost world haggas honking holes hour epic ladder climb tumu tumu toobing new zealand glow worms hour tour fear of heights free photos an adventure amazing experience great adventure comfort zone felt safe great pictures thanks guys
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 September 2019

I was too scared to do the abseiling into the last world so my husband and myself chose the Lost World Through the Window instead. Our guides Gareth and Deni were amazing and very patient.

Absolutely loved the ziplining through the caves, it takes ziplining to another level.

The caves are absolutely amazing, we will be back again, next time we will do the abseiling into the caves on the Lost World 4 hour tour as I have complete trust in Gareth and Deni to keep me safe.

I really loved that we got the awesome photos they took sent to us via email so we could download them from Dropbox at no additional cost,, and on the same day as well.

I would highly recommend Waitomo adventures to anyone that wants to see the caves in a very unique way, when you see the lost world for the first time you are just blown away by the beauty of it.

Reviewed 15 September 2019 via mobile

My partner and I did the 4 hour tour with Chris and Joel as our guides. First and foremost they were hilarious and helpful the entire time, I made it known to them that I wished to propose to my now financee in the caves and they accommodated with some amazing photos and advice on where to do it. The cave itself was gorgeous and it really did feel like a lost world as it is described. The 100 meter absiel is spectacular, as is seeing the glow worms. We both had a great time and would highly recommended this tour, shout out again to our guides for making it truly memorable.

Reviewed 15 September 2019

We had an amazing day at the Lost World Epic tour with two very experienced, professional and wonderful guides - TK and Deni. They were incredibly helpful and looked after us the entire time. Although we didn’t get a chance to complete the tour till the end due to very strong water current and us being so tired from fighting against the water, it was truly an epic experience and we would totally do it again!

Reviewed 6 September 2019 via mobile

I had the privilege of experiencing three of Waitomo adventures most stunning cave systems. From the unparalleled combination of adventure and serenity through the Tumu Tumu toobing tour to the thrilling adventure in the Haggas honking holes and finally, the lost world 4hr adventure. Each cave offers a truly unique and magical experience. Words cannot describe how amazing these cave systems are; all are vastly different and yet, breathtaking in their own way. The guides are all brilliant. They're skillful and highly professional. They take genuine pride in their careers and go out of their way to ensure you have the best time ever on your trip. They were highly knowledgeable about the caves, glow worms and equipment. It was great being able to ask lots of questions along the way. Also, let's not forget the lovely cafe they have on site aswell. The food is amazing, well priced and super tasty. All served up with a smile by their wonderful staff. Don't forget to buy some fudge while you're there. I can't thank these people enough for the incredible experience I've had here

Date of experience: September 2019
WaitomoAdventures, General Manager at Waitomo Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2019

Wow ! Thank you so much for your thoughtful and generous review.
I know all our staff will be delighted to get this feedback.
and Wow ! ...THREE different trips in two days...you're a machine.
We're so impressed that if you ever get the opportunity to come back, your next trip is on us !
Kind regards from all of us here at Waitomo Adventures

Reviewed 5 September 2019

We did the Tumu Tumu Toobing and it turned out to be much more strenuous than we had expected. It seems a bit misleading to call it tubing when the tubing part was only a few minutes out of the whole 4 hour experience. I'm a woman in my 60's - I'm not an athlete, but I'm quite physically active and I'm done many caving adventures in the past. I've done water-filled caving before in hiking boots and that was much more comfortable than this experience: wearing wellington boots that immediately filled with water made it much harder than necessary to climb, scramble on wet rocks, and swim. We were in a very small group and the guide could have been much more helpful. The cave itself was cool and the glowworms were great, but the wellington boots gave me huge blisters afterwards. My husband, young adult daughter, and I all were very sore the next day from the experience. I just wanted to give people a clearer idea of what this tour entails than is given in the official description.

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank Barbara F
WaitomoAdventures, General Manager at Waitomo Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2019

We appreciate all feedback - so thanks for taking the time to do this and for choosing our company in the first place. Thanks also for your compliments about the cave and the glowworms.
Also I should say "good on you for getting out there and giving it a go".
However, FYI, we do not consider 60 years to be an unusual age for people doing this activity...we've had a lot older (92 yrs !)
..so its all about maintaining an moderate level of fitness not age.

Not Misleading
However, to say that we've been "misleading" is a terrible thing to say and very unfair.
This is one of the best trips at Waitomo and is operated by people who really care about the quality of your experience.
Our promotional material says this activity involves a mixture of walking, wading, swimming and tubing through a cave...i.e. it's caving but at a relatively gentle level and with the use of inner tubes for flotation at times.
This is true for ALL Blackwater Rafting options in New Zealand.
Accurate information is given on our website and in promotional material - including videos; and in post purchase communications i.e. We want people to have a clear understanding of the activity before they sign up.

Boots
It sounds like your boots were the main issue causing discomfort and I can readily agree that your boots need to be comfortable. If they're not, then this will put a negative gloss on the experience. However, it doesn't usually take much to achieve this - all you need is a pair of thick long socks (as used for bush walking). We recommend the use of socks in our promotional material'; in our post booking check-list and at the time of departure. Most people have socks but we supply them if they don't. If you don't want to wear socks or wear very thin socks then you can get abrasion on the inside of the boots - which can result in blisters.
We use PVC wellingtons (aka gumboots) because underground the PVC grips the wet limestone rock FAR better than rubber soled hiking boots - which can be dangerously slippery in this environment. I agree that they do make walking a bit more cumbersome at times, but were not moving quickly and it's easy to periodically empty the water out of your boots without even taking them off. In NZ this is typically what cavers choose to wear on their feet.

Muscles
Most people "find a few muscles they haven't used for a while" ... caving has a sneaky way of getting you to use your core muscles as you negotiate the turns & twists of the passages....you don't really even realise you're using those muscles at the time, but the next day they can be a bit tired. However, this is usually seen as a good thing...and an incentive to keep up those "planks" at the gym. It's the satisfaction of having done something real in the real world.

Group Size & Guide
Our groups are always small - that's just one of the benefits of coming with us. However, your comment that the guide "could have been much more helpful" is concerning. I will be talking to the guide to ascertain exactly what went wrong with this departure but I can assure you that every single guide in this company cares A LOT about every single trip they guide. We regard this area as our main company strength - we really do care and want to give you the best possible experience. Your guide on this trip has been with us many years and has had many fantastic reviews - which keep coming. So you can be assured that he will be very saddened to learn of this comment.