Amaan Bungalows
US$172
US$163
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewssea viewbudget hotelbreakfast buffetdivine divingair conditioningbeach towelslocation is fantastichigh tidehot waterper nightswimming poolcatch of the daybeach frontdiving centermosquito netnungwi beachlobster
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Amaan bungalows provide comfortable stay in best beach in Zanzibar. The bungalows are simple, clean and functional. The best is to book the SeaView, however, as they are always full, we had PoolView and it was quite ok. The access to the ocean is very good, for low tide there is a nice pool with loungers for free, they offer pool towels for free as well. However wifi was quite weak, not in the rooms, just common areas and when check-in they offered us a room with 2 separate beds - they promised they gonna dismount and change the bed (what they did in that room by late afternoon), but we insisted on room change. At the check-out they tried to give us two bills which weren’t ours, we didn’t pay and it was not a big deal, just beware once cleaning the bill. The breakfast and dinner was served in a Amaan restaurant, as vegans we always found something for us and some dishes were quite delicious in their own local way (african pizza style or curry). For divers, there is a dive center (Divine Divers) right next Amaan.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zuzana C
Kazungu G, General Manager at Amaan Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Dear Zuzana,

It was our pleasure to host you at Amaan. You were a very jovial guest and this made the entire staff make your holiday more relaxing and enjoyable. We once again say thank you for choosing us and we welcome you back again. We are now coming up with a new property just next to Amaan Bungalows called Amaan motel. It is just a few minutes walk behind with a more quiet relaxing environment and more cultural relaxation ambience.
We again request you to accept our sincere apology where we did not satisfy you service wise. I am pretty sure that in your next visit you will enjoy the new restaurant set up and the expansive sunset jet which gives more space for all guest to enjoy the beautiful sunset viewing while taking the tasty!! cocktails at Amaan.

we thank you so very much for your review about us. God bless you and see you soon.
Gilbert,
General Manager.

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in Amanda Bungalows for two days. Very beautiful place, but first if all very nice and helpful staff. Smiling all the time. We will be back!!
Good walk along the astonishing beach to visit a hospital for turtles. Here they do a very good job

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank vagnp2016

Dear Guest,
We must thank you very much for choosing Amaan and we feel honored that you enjoyed your stay with us. Now you have even more choices on choosing where to stay with the same company. We are coming up with Amaan motel right behind Amaan Bingalows. Now you may choose staying at Amaan Bungalows or Amaan Motel.
The entire staff welcomes you again to Amaan and we promise to take very good care of you during your stay with us.
God bless you and be our Ambassador back home.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

This review focuses on staff interactions - The facilities are as advertised (more 2 star) and the restaurant staff were good.

I visited the hotel over a holiday weekend, seeking solitude and relaxation. On my 2nd day on at the resort, while waiting for towels talked to a male staff member casually about where I was from in the world. I was surprised when he asked me how old I was and after not answering the question, he just looked at me and said my age. I don't look my age so I was immediately suspicious about how he guessed that number (no one guesses it, ever). I let it go and continued to enjoy the sun.

Later that night, I received a text message on my phone with a good evening greeting. I inquired into who was texting me and was told that it was the bellhop/desk attendant. I asked how he got my number and he said that he got my number from my booking. I was furious that my privacy was violated

I immediately went to talk to the General Manager of the hotel to express my concern. He listened to my concerns, however, I never felt that he took them seriously. I showed him my phone with the text messages and he seemed focused on what I said in response to the text messages and less on the actions of his staff or on the violation of my privacy. He asked several times what I thought the employees intention was in contacting me and if I asked the employees why they were contacting me. I responded that it didn't matter, as neither employee should have approached me in that manner (or had access to my registration information!). I was frustrated that I was, in essence, being asked what I did to have staff approach me. I felt that he found the situation funny,

Additionally, the General Manager never asked me for my room number, or anything else that would identify me. However, he did call me by my first name as I was leaving which I thought was really problematic as he clearly knew who I was before entering the office. I don't remember telling him my name or other contact information.

The GM said he needed to talk the employees, 'to find out their purpose in contacting me'. I stated that I thought it is was really clear that the purpose was inappropriate. He stated he'd get back to me the next day, all the while smirking about my situation. I left feeling like he felt I brought this on myself by traveling alone. I never heard from him again about the situation, which did not surprise me.

I felt uncomfortable the rest of the vacation, wondering who and how many people, had access to my address, phone number, and other identifying information..

I don't believe this is a safe hotel for women traveling alone, and perhaps for groups of women, as the GM and staff do not protect guest identification and has very lax rules about how that information is used by employees. Employees may have the impression that women are looking for more than rest and relaxation without any encouragement from the traveler. Furthermore, the management at the hotel do not take the concerns of women seriously.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
6  Thank Travelingthisworld20
Kazungu G, General Manager at Amaan Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Good morning Guest,
I must first of all thank you so very much for choosing Amaan for your holiday despite the scenarios that led to your unsatisfactory guest. I as Gilbert, General Manager Amaan Bungalows Nungwi would like to ask you to kindly accept my sincere apology on behalf of the two staff who made your stay with Amaan a displeasure.

I must say that i always wear a big smile every time i speak to people. My continuous smile could have been mistaken for not taking things seriously. The guest is always a king and i personally treat every guest with respect and very keen on anything they report to me. I have a habit which is now culturally that whenever a guest comes in my office i introduce myself and in reciprocate the guest does the same and if they don't i ask for their names. In regards to this, i did the same.
Two cases were reported to me, first a black tall stout electrician young man asking you about age with exact age limit and the second one about a text message. luckily as i was speaking to you, the only one electrician i have in the hotel came in my office by good luck and i asked if he was the one. Honorable you said he was not the one.

Yes i read the guest text message from your phone after you volunteered to give me your phone. I immediately apologized to you and expressed with deep concern how this was a grave mistake the staff made and immediately asked you to calm down and i would call the staff who wrote the text message and look for the other one who fitted the your description. I promised to see you the next Day which was 1st of April after i get proper information from the staff and tell you of my affirmative action. I comprehensibly asked for you at the reception the next day to tell you what action i had taken through the board of directors but all in in vain. You were not in the hotel. I sent a receptionist to your room but you were not there the whole Day. I did the same in the evening all in vain. The only mistake that i admit is i never left a small note in your room ST36 for you to come to my office. i thought it would be better for us to look for you instead.

I would want to assure all single ladies and all other guest coming to Amaan that guest information is very confidential and well protected. Unfortunately this staff through his ill intentions worked very hard to get this information when the guest was checking in. We have devised a way that all information does not slip into other staff hands especially when guests are checking in.. I totally agree that this was a mistake on our side. If one goes back in our past reviews, you will find out that Amaan does not have such a reputation. We receive many single young girls and ladies of various ages and nothing like this happened before. Amaan Bungalows is a safe haven for all.
I would also want to point out that i managed to identify the black tall staff who asked about age and together with the one who wrote the text messages, grilled them and they were all guilty. This matter was grave and it was forwarded to the board of directors and a final decision was reached and all two staff were permanently sent home.

I once again apologize on behalf of the hotel for all what happened. Welcome to Amaan we are always committed to offering 100% quality service delivery.

Thank you and may God bless you.
Gilbert

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in sea view rooms - the patio is right on the beach, the most incredible setting. The resort was being upgraded during our stay and will boast more greenery, palm trees, and so on. Breakfast is adequate, dinner is good. The rooms were very clean and fitted with excellent air con and fans. A very central location on Nungwi beach, great value for money, and well worth the visit. Our first choice for next year again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ferdilouw
Kazungu G, General Manager at Amaan Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear guest,
thank you very much for staying with us. We, ocean group of hotels values each and every response you make regarding our services. We might not be 100% perfect but we always make sure we do the best.

Be our Ambassador back at home and the entire staff wishes you the best of luck in all you do back at home. Do come again you are now part of the Amaan family. When you come again you will be very amazed with the good gardens which are now at the verge of completion, it is so beuatiful!!!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

The location is fantastic. Right on the water with gorgeous beaches and restaurants near by and plenty of activities to offer when you are feeling a little more adventurous. The breakfast is good with a nice variety and the rooms are nice with great size beds. The only downfall is the Laundry Service. Mine and some other friends clothes came back stained. Apart from that it was a wonderful place to stay and would recommend anyone it to anyone looking for a nice coastal getaway.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank xEuphoriax

Hello Guest,
We are very much pleased that you chose Amaan as your holiday destination. thank you very much for your good feed back about Amaan. We sincerely promise to work hard for better result especially where we never met your expectations.Welcome back to Amaan.