“Nice Pub Food and Atmosphere with a View of Lake Wanaka”
Review of Water Bar

Water Bar
Reserve a table
Ranked #31 of 94 Restaurants in Wanaka
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Water Bar is a fully licensed restaurant with fantastic bar facilities and located right on the lake front in Wanaka. Whether you are after a full dining experience, a casual brunch or lunch, or a lively late night entertainment venue, Water Bar can make your visit a fantastic experience.
Reviewed 31 December 2019

My husband and I stopped in Wanaka (to photograph The Wanaka Tree) on our trip from Queenstown to Mt. Cook during our one week vacation in NZ. We hadn't done the research but ended up here. It faced Lake Wanaka and since it was a beautiful day we ate outside. There was a lot of room with tables and pool tables inside. We stopped after the lunch rush so it wasn't at all crowded. We both had the fish tacos, which were very tasty and had a bit of a spicy kick to them. The service was good. We were happy with our choice. I'm sure it gets very busy at night, given the view, all of the pool tables and adult beverages. Great choice for a quick lunch stop before heading on.

Date of visit: November 2019

Reviewed 27 December 2019 via mobile

service was ok and fast for a busy evening. food quite low in taste (baked salmon) and portion was quite small. not made with love

Reviewed 26 December 2019

My wife and I had the $21.00 pepperoni pizza and a $21.00 burger and chips on 22 December 2019. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was ok, but the apology for a pizza was one of the worst we have ever had. It was a very thin base that was overcooked and tasted like raunchy biscuits. The topping was sufficient but because it was overcooked, it tasted burnt and dry. The burger was ok but was cold when served.
Based on our experience, we could not recommend eating there.

1  Thank Kevin D
Reviewed 3 December 2019 via mobile

Nice beers here, some local, but their sticking to their Happy Hour prices is somewhat erratic as we were charged two different prices on two separate visits - both during their HH time slot but served by two different bar staff.

Date of visit: December 2019
WaterbarManagement, General Manager at Water Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2019

Hi Mark, all of our pricing on our tills is set up to automatically discount the items during happy hour and our staff can't change prices on the tills so i'm quite confused as to how you could have been charged different amounts. The only thing i can think of is that you may have just missed the happy hour slot (5.30pm - 6.30pm) or you may have ordered a different beer? Also in these types of situations, did you not speak to any staff about it? If a mistake had been made and the duty manager had been notified, they could have rectified it there and then. If you would like to discuss further please call me on 03 443 4345. Thank you, Laura (GM).

Reviewed 24 November 2019 via mobile

I live in Queenstown with my Wife and 18 month old Son. My Mother lives in Auckland and this year for her birthday we flew her down for five days to spend time with her only Grandson. She is in her senior years and as such time spent together is becoming increasingly precious and important.

Today we visited Water Bar in Wanaka for Lunch and it was by far the highlight of our five days together. The staff were so accommodating to all of our needs and were so friendly and thoughtful.

The Gentleman with the long hair and beard who waited on our table ( I didn’t get his name and usually I’d say bloke, guy, dude whatever but he was an absolute Gentleman in the truest sense of the word) behaved in such a manner that he will be an asset to whichever organisation is lucky enough to have him. Nothing was a problem and he couldn’t have made us feel more welcome, always smiling and engaging with our toddler. We all loved our meals, we had tacos, calamari and a few sides all were served quickly and it was all delicious.

We visit Wanaka quite a bit and I don’t think we will be eating any where else in a hurry, however on our next visit I’ll be sure to visit nearer to the time this legend knocks off so I can buy you and your team a beer.

Thanks again for making our visit one we will never forget.

Date of visit: November 2019