“Just okay”

Kai Whakapai Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #13 of 96 Restaurants in Wanaka
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on the Lake Wanaka lakefront Kai Whakapai Cafe & Bar is known as the Wanaka Institution. A place to slow down and take the load off. Sit down and slow down. Meet friends, new and old, tell stories. Make stories. We serve good food, good brews, good music and a good attitude to good people. So come on down and experience a bit of local Wanaka. We are Kai.
Reviewed 4 June 2024

Kai is a great place to go for a beer with friends… has nice heated outside tables with a view of the lakefront and a great selection of beers on tap. However, whenever I’ve come here for different purposes I have been massively disappointed. The food is pretty overpriced for what you get. The service is practically non-existent. You have to order at the bar which quickly turns into chaos whenever it is busy as it is a small venue. The coffee is not proper, no foam on a cappuccino and barely warmed hot chocolates. I’d recommend stopping by for a quick beer but wouldn’t bother staying to dine.

Date of visit: May 2024

Reviewed 1 April 2024

Pizza was decent - chips were very greasy and not great. They had a wide selection of beers to choose from I tried a few pilsners which were really tasty. They serve pints and have outdoor seating on the lake

Date of visit: April 2024
Reviewed 18 March 2024 via mobile

I had the gluten free version of the open steak sandwich with chips and couldn't fault it. The steak was cooked as I had ordered it and everything was delicious. I loved the pesto! The place was really busy and had a good buzz to it. I managed to find an outside table, but as soon as I left, it was taken by some other people which shows how popular it is.

Date of visit: March 2024
Reviewed 23 February 2024 via mobile

We really liked this cafe and enjoyed delicious food. I had the best cheese scone I've ever had! Polite and friendly staff in a great location.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank 76lucye
Reviewed 13 February 2024

Great location. Meet friendly locals. Hot spot for people watching.
Excellent food, coffee and a very good selection of New Zealand beers on tap.

Date of visit: December 2023
Nick Aubrey, Owner at Kai Whakapai Cafe, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2024

Tommo - Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We are so happy you enjoyed your experiance! See you soon!