“Good selection of beers and decent food”

Kai Whakapai Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #13 of 95 Restaurants in Wanaka
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on the Lake Wanaka lakefront Kai Whakapai Cafe & Bar is known as the Wanaka Institution. A place to slow down and take the load off. Sit down and slow down. Meet friends, new and old, tell stories. Make stories. We serve good food, good brews, good music and a good attitude to good people. So come on down and experience a bit of local Wanaka. We are Kai.
Reviewed 1 April 2024

Pizza was decent - chips were very greasy and not great. They had a wide selection of beers to choose from I tried a few pilsners which were really tasty. They serve pints and have outdoor seating on the lake

Date of visit: April 2024

Reviewed 18 March 2024 via mobile

I had the gluten free version of the open steak sandwich with chips and couldn't fault it. The steak was cooked as I had ordered it and everything was delicious. I loved the pesto! The place was really busy and had a good buzz to it. I managed to find an outside table, but as soon as I left, it was taken by some other people which shows how popular it is.

Date of visit: March 2024
Reviewed 23 February 2024 via mobile

We really liked this cafe and enjoyed delicious food. I had the best cheese scone I've ever had! Polite and friendly staff in a great location.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank 76lucye
Reviewed 13 February 2024

Great location. Meet friendly locals. Hot spot for people watching.
Excellent food, coffee and a very good selection of New Zealand beers on tap.

Date of visit: December 2023
Nick Aubrey, Owner at Kai Whakapai Cafe, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2024

Tommo - Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We are so happy you enjoyed your experiance! See you soon!

Reviewed 11 February 2024

My son and I (and our friend Tony Ted) were recently on an adventure to NZ and the places where we ate had some of the best food I've ever tasted. The Kai Whaka Pai is our fave. The food was exceptional! My son had been fancying Eggs Benedict for a few days and boy did they deliver, he kept shaking his fork at it - which is a clear sign he was enjoying it - and he savoured every mouthful. He said it is the best he has ever had and has already tried to create it, I don't think anything will beat it!

I had the Avo Smash and it was amazing!! More like a banquet of scrummy goodness right there! I wish I lived around the corner but I'd become very fat very quickly! The combination of flavours is incredible.

The menu was fabulous and sadly we only had time for one breakfast before we headed off. It was definitely worth the 14,000 trip to be able to sample such gorgeous food. No wonder they're popular, they deserve to be. Thank you to everyone who works there.

Date of visit: January 2024