“A great place”

Kai Whakapai Cafe, Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #12 of 94 Restaurants in Wanaka
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on the Lake Wanaka lakefront Kai Whakapai Cafe & Bar is known as the Wanaka Institution. A place to slow down and take the load off. Sit down and slow down. Meet friends, new and old, tell stories. Make stories. We serve good food, good brews, good music and a good attitude to good people. So come on down and experience a bit of local Wanaka. We are Kai.
Reviewed 23 February 2024 via mobile

We really liked this cafe and enjoyed delicious food. I had the best cheese scone I've ever had! Polite and friendly staff in a great location.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank 76lucye

Reviewed 13 February 2024

Great location. Meet friendly locals. Hot spot for people watching.
Excellent food, coffee and a very good selection of New Zealand beers on tap.

Date of visit: December 2023
Nick Aubrey, Owner at Kai Whakapai Cafe, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2024

Tommo - Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We are so happy you enjoyed your experiance! See you soon!

Reviewed 11 February 2024

My son and I (and our friend Tony Ted) were recently on an adventure to NZ and the places where we ate had some of the best food I've ever tasted. The Kai Whaka Pai is our fave. The food was exceptional! My son had been fancying Eggs Benedict for a few days and boy did they deliver, he kept shaking his fork at it - which is a clear sign he was enjoying it - and he savoured every mouthful. He said it is the best he has ever had and has already tried to create it, I don't think anything will beat it!

I had the Avo Smash and it was amazing!! More like a banquet of scrummy goodness right there! I wish I lived around the corner but I'd become very fat very quickly! The combination of flavours is incredible.

The menu was fabulous and sadly we only had time for one breakfast before we headed off. It was definitely worth the 14,000 trip to be able to sample such gorgeous food. No wonder they're popular, they deserve to be. Thank you to everyone who works there.

Date of visit: January 2024
Reviewed 30 January 2024

The variety of the menu makes it great for families. The wedges are very popular! Good food. Friendly staff. Terrific location.

Reviewed 1 January 2024

We wandered in looking for a quick bite to eat, and this place over delivered! We had the best steak sandwiches and nachos, and chicken pie here. The counter staff was really nice, and attentive to our boys’ nut allergies, and was willing to double check ingredients for us. Great place!