“Mexican at its best.”

Ranked #21 of 95 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: Mexican, Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Amigos, we’ve been serving hot Mexican and cool margaritas since we opened our first restaurant in Wanaka in 1995. Since then, we’ve expanded to more locations around the South Island to share our love for Mexican food. Whether you’re looking for a place to have a fun and lively date night or the next location for your function, we’ve got you covered. And of course, we invite you to join us for the best day of the week, Taco Tuesday, where every one of our delicious tacos is only $5!
Reviewed 25 January 2024

Just as well we'd booked for a Saturday night, the place was heaving. No wonder, some of the best Mexican food I've tasted anywhere, and I've had a lot!!
My wife isn't a fan of Mexican food, so had the Gringo - the steak. She was delighted 'best steak I've had in a long time'.
The portions were very good, so couldn't face a desert. I enjoyed the Margarita Classico, my wife the Rose. Our friends had similar experience to us.
So couldn't fault on the food, drinks and service. Being so popular it is altogether very noisy. Great for lively night out, lousy for quiet romantic dinner.
Very enjoyable though. Will revisit next time in Wanaka, but not on a Friday or Saturday night!

Date of visit: January 2024

Reviewed 7 January 2024

Was so looking forward to having dinner here tonight due to local recommendations? We arrived on time at 20.45pm and were very nicely received bt the waitress. However, as soon as she was leading us to a table her male colleague questioned her choice of table saying it was not available and all new reservations had to be outside. We didn't want an outside table.

Our cocktails and entrée was excellent, but ended up cancelling our main courses as didn't feel safe enough to finish our meal.

This was all down to the attitude and demeanour of one individual male waiter. We both felt threatened and extremely uncomfortable about remaining in the establishment. We instructed the manager to take payment for the things we had consumed and wanted to leave immediately. To feel threatened and victimised by one oppressive member of staff does not warrant a pleasant night.

I strongly advised if you ate gay or from a different heritage I would avoid.

Date of visit: January 2024
Reviewed 24 December 2023 via mobile

Good food. Got fish tacos (they were spicy!). Nachos were a bit strangely presented and toppings were not well presented. Good vibes and comfortable, casual environment

Date of visit: December 2023
Reviewed 15 December 2023

Our arrival was timed perfectly...before they got too busy! One person was handling the dining room and bar, in addition to the two cooks. The server remained calm until help arrived and he could move more slowly.
Our meals were delicious. Two of us had Burritos and one had a Pork Belly Taco and Baja Fish Taco. Portions were generous.
The restaurant is nicely decorated, as well.

Date of visit: November 2023
Reviewed 11 November 2023

As a long time local I was extremely surprised at the lack of friendliness and general helpfulness in a hospitality business.
We were offered barely two rounds of drinks & no more and we were not offered any dessert whatsoever.
I brought in 15 people who they could have made a lot more profit from had they applied basic hospitality practices. The manager told my guests and I think a staff member that they had to leave at a certain time never once discussing this with me the person who made the booking.
As we were standing to leave at 7:15ish we were saying our goodbyes to each other, a very rude staff member was asking us to move as some were standing in the way even as I jammed myself up against the seating she was very aggressive with much eye rolling and a general attitude that didn’t want us around.
I felt very unwelcome and didn’t recognise the amigos of old when Niki was on the floor she was always friendly no matter how much was going on.
A voucher was given to me by a friend for my birthday. I thought I may as well use, I was told this voucher was not recognised, I felt it was not handled well…
I asked one staff member who then passed me into another who supposedly knew what to do with vouchers, when presented she herself had to go and ask the manager who’s response was just no, no and no, I was then asked who gave it to me, I said who it was and was told just no, I then had to ask why this was the case and I was told this was not signed so it was not recognised and they couldnt be sure it had been paid for, this I could kind of understand although it was a small amount of money and why would I a time local want to scam amigos of all places…
It seemed they wanted us in and out as fast as possible and I felt generally unwelcome overall there was no happy birthday vibes at all.
I was sad to see this long time establishment being run in a manner that did not reflect it’s beginnings.

Date of visit: November 2023