“Very disappointing!!”

Warbirds & Wheels
Ranked #23 of 80 things to do in Wanaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our world-class visitor attraction showcases a collection of Warbirds aircraft, over 30 world class and privately owned classic cars, RealArt Roadshow of unique New Zealand art, wearable arts and tales of a local legend Sir Tim Wallis. This attraction also contains a 1950's retro diner with a wide range of delicious snacks baked on site daily, diner-style meals and refreshments, and retail shop with loads of exciting car and aircraft memorabilia. Open seven days 9am to 5pm. Located at the Wanaka airport, 9km from the township.
Reviewed 22 February 2017

If, like me, you're an aeroplane enthusiast, especially jets, especially military jets, this might get your juices flowing, but, having paid my $20, I saw about 4, very old, very unloved (last dusted c. 5 years ago) planes, very disappointing.
On the other hand, the huge collection of obviously really treasured old cars is the opposite,
so, if you're an 80% car lover, this is for you, if you're 80% jets/WW2/ aviation, I think you'll be disappointed, as I was.

Management response:Responded 15 April 2017

Hi, you are right we do have more cars than planes in our collection. Our plane collection houses the SE5A, a Hurricane, Vampire, Strikemaster and the Skyhawk so I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with what we have. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

We spent about an hour and a half here looking round the museum. The vintage cars in particular are beautifully kept and the few planes are interesting too. Outside you can also have fun watching the skydivers coming down!

Management response:Responded 15 April 2017

Hi, thank you for your review. I'm glad you appreciated our beautiful collection of cars! We hope to see you again some time soon!

Reviewed 2 February 2017

An outstanding collection of classic autos and aircraft. Very well presented with information signs giving some amazing details for each vehicle. A highly recommended attraction for any fan of classics.

Management response:Responded 14 February 2017

Thank you for your review CrazyDiamond66, I'm so glad you enjoyed the work we put into our museum! We hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

what an interesting place this is. Love the old planes and all the details given to see what happen and why. Excellent place to see the history.

Management response:Responded 14 February 2017

Thank you for your review chris_cairns! I'm glad you loved the planes and the history that goes along with them!

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

The cars are exceptionell: I love the Chevrolets and of course the famous Rickenbacher and the most famous Duesenberg .... The warplains are interesting, especially the very old Vampire.

A lot to watch and see - and afterwards go for a really good (strong) coffee to the cafe of the museum.

Management response:Responded 24 January 2017

Hi, thank you so much for your raving review! I'm glad you enjoyed our collection as well as our little diner! Hope to see you again sometime!