“The ultimate barnstormer 1940s Tigermoth”
Review of Classic Flights

Classic Flights
Ranked #21 of 59 Tours in Wanaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Vintage Tiger Moth Scenic Flights with Classic Flights Wanaka, New Zealand. Have you ever dreamed of experiencing a piece of aviation history? To step back in time where Pilots were larger than life, and heroes to all those who lifted their eyes skyward to the sound of an old Tigermoth flying overhead? Then take a flightseeing trip around Wanaka and see breathtaking New Zealand scenery in a Vintage Aircraft. Experience the excitement of the early flyers and their flying machines; the smell of oil and aviation fuel, combined with the aroma of fresh leather. As you don the old-style leather flying helmet, complete with flying goggles and silk scarf, experience the anticipation of being taken back in time to the nostalgia of this by-gone era.The exhilaration of the open cockpit and the wind in your face - discover the freedom and romance of a vintage scenic flight from Wanaka, one of the most spectacular scenic locations in New Zealand.
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Just done the tigermoth barnstormer flight at wanaka classic flights. Fantastic experience with some aerobatics. My pilot Lucy was fantastic, great pilot. Views were out of this world and flying in this 1940s tigermoth a once in lifetime experience. All the flying gear was provided so you look the the part and keeps you warm up there. Took my go-pro which they kindly attached to the wing strut and got some amazing footage over lake wanaka which was like glass when we flew over. The whole flight was amazing and the aerobatics great fun with amazing views thrown in.

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

Aircraft look great but unfortunately was unable to get off the ground because staff neglected to check the voucher number I provided, then did not honor my certificate when I arrived despite previously confirming the date and time. We scheduled part of our family trip to NZ around this appointment, and were denied because their boss was not reachable by phone to verify the voucher. Treated as if I forged the fancy certificate on which staffer even recognized her own handwriting. Incredibly poor handling and huge disappointment. The only bad experience on our three week tour of NZ.

1  Thank cdelgior
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Where do I start with the review on this one? Looking for something for my family and to celebrate my son’s birthday that was exciting enough for him and his girlfriend age 23, my wife and myself in the older bracket. I went through all the activities in Wanaka when I come upon this one. Romantic flight in a Tiger Moth. I rang the company and spoke to lovely lady called Julie (the boss) I explained I was looking for something exciting but not to over the top. Julie took down my information and asked if she could come back with some suggestions. Julie followed through with her promise and did come back with a mind blowing idea. She suggested we use 2 Tiger moths and one Cherokee fly over the lakes and land on a high country station farm have a picnic lunch and fly back again. Julie then added another kicker into the idea with using the Cherokee they could give us a flying lesson as well. The Tiger mother carries 1 passenger and a pilot, the Cherokee is a 4 seater. Julie gave me the cost for the experience and I felt this price and very reasonable and very fair for what they where offering. I immediately booked the activity offered to pay for it straight away Julie inform me they would take full payment on the day and no need for a deposit. On arrival at the company you could feel their passion for what they where doing and how much they wanted to share their love of flying and of the area. Julie even came to work on her day off to make certain every thing was right. We where introduced to our pilots Peter head pilot, Alex and Lucy. I was very impressed with their professional approach. My son and his partner went in the Cherokee this plane was piloted by Lucy she introduce my son to flight with a pre flight check followed by a flight lesson. My wife and myself followed them in the Tiger Moths, the plane I flew in was piloted by Peter and my wife’s plane was pilot by Alex. Getting ready to go for a flight in a tiger moth is adventure in itself they give you set overall to wear and a real leather helmet, you are then strapped in ready for take off up up and away, its like you have step back in time. The day could not have been better the sun was shinning the sky was blue, What a experience flying in a open cockpit breeze blowing in your face flying over Wanaka over the lakes so beautiful so exciting. We caught up with my son landing on a small high station strip where a beautiful delicious picnic lunch was waiting for us provide by the company. Just imagine this picnicking beside your tiger month middle of no where and to top it off a view die for. We swapped with my son and is girlfriend for the trip back to Wanaka airport, they flew on the Tiger Moths and we returned on the Cherokee plane. Alex was our pilot for the return trip. Alex even gave me a flight lesson to top it all off. I talked to my son afterwards about his flight lesson with Lucy and he was very impressed with her passion her skill and patience in teaching him a little about flight and I can say the same thing about Alex. Peter is the head pilot very skilled pilot and very good organizer. You could hear Peter direct the day events over the radio and when he was not being a pilot very good photographer a good picnic organizer. There is not one bad part of this experience. My whole family is still talking about it. My wife is so proud of herself she flew in a open cockpit and I recon for me one of my top experience I have ever had. Peter and Julie Thank You Thank you. We are coming back I think our next experience will be Milford Sound but I will ask Julie and Peter’s advice.

1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Best memory of my trip to NZ!!! I've jumped from a plan at 15000ft, bungee jumped, shotover jet plus saw loads of great scenery but the thing I shall remember the most about my trip to the South Island was the 30 mins me and my son spent flying in the Tiger Moths with loop the loop etc.... blooming fantastic experience, thank you!!!

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

This was my number one experience in New Zealand!! I highly recommend seeing Classic Flights, they are super friendly, our pilot Alex made sure we were having fun and made the experience as comfortable as possible. We flew over Milford Sound, the views were incredible, best way to experience the regions beauty!!
I will definitely be back