“Wonderful wings over Wanaka.”
Review of Classic Flights

Classic Flights
Ranked #20 of 58 Tours in Wanaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Vintage Tiger Moth Scenic Flights with Classic Flights Wanaka, New Zealand. Have you ever dreamed of experiencing a piece of aviation history? To step back in time where Pilots were larger than life, and heroes to all those who lifted their eyes skyward to the sound of an old Tigermoth flying overhead? Then take a flightseeing trip around Wanaka and see breathtaking New Zealand scenery in a Vintage Aircraft. Experience the excitement of the early flyers and their flying machines; the smell of oil and aviation fuel, combined with the aroma of fresh leather. As you don the old-style leather flying helmet, complete with flying goggles and silk scarf, experience the anticipation of being taken back in time to the nostalgia of this by-gone era.The exhilaration of the open cockpit and the wind in your face - discover the freedom and romance of a vintage scenic flight from Wanaka, one of the most spectacular scenic locations in New Zealand.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderful wings over Wanaka.”
Reviewed 27 February 2017

We did the "Freedom of Romance" flight in the two Tiger Moths. This was our Christmas present to each other and it is one of the best things we have ever done. And we've been around a bit! An absolute delight from making the booking to waving goodbye. Friendly team, well organised, great attention to detail. But the main thing was the absolute thrill of flying in an open cockpit in formation. It gives a whole new dimension to the experience of flying. I've been on a number of light aircraft trips before and have even had a few hours of instruction, but this was far and away better than anything I'd tried before. We were given a well thought out briefing, guided into our respective aircraft (Oh, they are so beautiful, words fail me!) flown over the lake, mountains on each side, to a remote pasture, taken on a low pass and a tight turn to check the runway, then landed and served with a delicious luxury picnic lunch. A little while to relax and take in the stunning scenery and then up in the Tiger Moths again for a formation flight back down the lake to the airfield. We were buzzing for days! Still get misty eyed when I think about it. A reasonable price too. It's spurred me to take up gliding back in the UK

Visited December 2016

Auckland Region, New Zealand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful Waco”
Reviewed 30 January 2017

I was really hoping to get to fly in the Waco biplane (..which is unique in NZ), but the weather wasn't playing ball while we were in town.
Peter was kind enough to accommodate this, by flying us at 7am on the day when the weather did, finally, turn good. As a result, we had a wonderful early-morning view of the stunning Wanaka scenery, framed by the wings of this beautiful old aeroplane.
Thanks Peter - it was unforgettable!

Visited January 2017
Ashburton, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A definite bucket list item”
Reviewed 7 December 2016

Flying Classic aircraft in the greatest place with great vistas. Great people and an experience never to be forgotten

Visited November 2016
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Seat of your pants flying!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

One word... SPECTACULAR!! Partner and I did a 20min scenic flight in the Tiger Moths. It's was quite a windy day, but my pilot Peter flew that plane so well!! What a rush. Totally breath taking and both of us landed with the biggest smiles. Can't think of a better way to see and take in the breathtaking scenery that Wanaka has to offer. This has been the highlight of our holiday.

Visited October 2016
Sydney
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Awesome ride in a Tigermoth”
Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

I had always wanted to ride in a Tigermoth and im so glad i got to do it in Wanaka. They got me all dressed up like Tom Cruise in Top Gun, and then say me in the front of the plane, with the pilot in the back. I had my aviators on, and they let me attach my gopro. I was a little nervous to go upside down, but my pilot was very prefessional. Would definetly recommend it

Visited October 2016