Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Addicting

After doing a one hour flight training with learntofly, I wanted to go back in the air and... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2018
Bertrand L
via mobile
Rad Experience

A must do in Wanaka. 2 or 3 in the afternoon is the perfect timing for us. Great view of the lakes... read more

Reviewed 13 May 2018
juvypvill
Philippines
via mobile

All reviews open cockpit tiger moth leather jacket bi plane bucket list item new zealand once in a lifetime min flight take pictures scenic flight southern alps clutha river amazing views moths waco overalls acrobatics
Reviewed 18 July 2016

My husband is a pilot so naturally we had to do some flying while we were in New Zealand. We had been recommended by a friend of ours, also a pilot, to check out the folks at Classic Flights. We were blown away! The owners Peter and Julie, a husband and wife team, run a solid business with incredible pilots to help you experience New Zealand from the air in some really amazing aircraft. We chose to do formation flying in their WWII Tiger Moth biplanes. It was so much fun and something we will remember forever. Thank you all for such a memorable day!

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

This was an amazing experience from start to finish. It was something I always wanted to do and thanks to the people at Wanaka Classic Flights I was able to do the flight.
You could not ask for better service.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

Xmas present for the boss (she who must be obeyed). We went out in a pair of tiger moths. Surprisingly gentle flight even with some aerobatics. There's Nothing to compare with an open cockpit but still pretty well protected from the elements.

You're well briefed and looked after and made to feel welcome. Even donning the Biggles outfits feels right. Lovely views out over the lake and something to remember forever.

We had to reschedule a few times because of bad weather so book early to give time to reschedule if the weather looks bad. They don't fly if too windy.

The planes are a piece of history. Don't miss it.

Date of experience: February 2016
Reviewed 11 February 2016 via mobile

Superlatives are not enough to describe this adventure. Two WWII Tiger Moth Biplanes. Two pilots, flying together up the lake and setting down on the shore. A romantic picnic for two. Pure awesomeness. Six stars.

Date of experience: February 2016
Reviewed 16 January 2016

Having donned the Biggles style outfit, we took to the skies in the Tiger Moth. What a beautiful plane, providing stunning views over the lake and its surrounds. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the open cockpit, but it was tranquil and pretty much wind free. The option of aerobatics was offered at the outset so plucked up the courage and went for it. It’s not often I’m stunned into silence (in a good way) and there are not many opportunities in life to look at mountains upside down – this is one of them! The landing was also the smoothest I’ve ever experienced in any type of plane. I cannot recommend this enough – the size of my grin at the end said it all.

Date of experience: December 2015