“Good Thai taste”

Ranked #7 of 15 Restaurants in Twizel
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

Late night take away.

Nice owner kindly offered to cook Thai taste and less sweet for us. Big portion enough for dinner and breakfast. Yummy Beef Kaprao even no basil but tasty with fresh and dried chilli. Panang curry have good panang paste taste. Soft Rice with jasmine smell.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We did take away, as need a chill out after catching up with family. This is a family run restaurant and enjoyed the flavors especially their red curry (s big favourite of mine and even cook myself)However, noted that they’ve got a no BYO policy and no served alcohol either. Now I actually respect there stance, but unfortunately if you own a restaurant it’s supposed to be a place to feel welcomed and accepted if you drink or not . It was good but not out of the world .. so they need to perfect there overall service and welcome all to be successful :) . I wish them luck as very friendly.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

I don't often review a place on TripAdvisor, most of the time when experience were not good, I can sort of understand the reason behind it.

Visited the place on 04/02/18

4.30 pm - Called the place, to book for 3 people at 6.30 pm.

6.20 pm - Arrived at the restaurant, place look ok, considering our limited options in the area. We ordered 3 mains and an entree straight away. We could see 5 other tables occupied and people on 3 tables already having their meal.We can only see 3 boys working there aged maybe 10, 13 and 14. The boy with glasses that took our order said that even though I called to book at, they have to cook for other table who have ordered their food before we did, which is understandable.

7 pm - Boy with glasses finally came to our table with the entree, he also said sorry for the long wait. At least I think that's what he said, as he said it really quickly and wasn't even looking at us. Entree was ok, assorted deep fried stuff. We were starving, we would eat anything by this time. By this time we can also see 2 different customers ordering takeaway.

7.20 pm - We got one of the main, which was the prawn pad thai. It was tasteless. It was like we were having an instant noodle with no seasoning. What's more, there was a piece of small plastic packaging in the food which we could have accidentally swallow. Didnt complain, as we didn't want to complain to a couple of kids.

By this time one of the people who are ordering takeaway complained to the 10 years old kid on the cashier why their order take so long. The kid went to the kitchen and said 10-15 minutes. 10 minutes later when the same guy asked again, the kid went back to the kitchen, and again said 10-15 minutes. The guy got his order after complaining 3 times.

By this time we were also the only people dining in.

7.45 pm - 2 other mains that we ordered hasn't come out yet. We had enough and said to the kid on the cashier that if they haven't start cooking the other 2 mains yet,we will just pay for what we ate because we don't have all night to wait. The 10 years old kid replied "ok,just go back to your table, I just have to find your bill"

Went back to my table, and the missus point to the obvious, she said why he need to find our bill when we are the only people in this place? I thought I gave the kid 5 minute to work things out, as in calculating the bill.

7.50 pm - Saw the kid wasn't even counting or looking for the bill. He went back and forth to the kitchen again because the other guy who still waiting for his takeaway order started to complain as well.

I went to the cashier to calculate the total price of the main and the entree for him, paid the for it , and left. I don't think I ever feel pissed off about a restaurant that much before.

The worst thing is, with more than 1 customers complaining, not once did the adult in the kitchen come out of the kitchen and say something to the customers.

I got nothing against kids working in family owned restaurants. I know many Asian families who like to teach their kids the family business when their kids are young. But when things go wrong, the adult need to come out and speak to the customers so they can do something to improve the business.

So..in short, not recommended

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 5 February 2018

We checked the TA reviews for Twizel then visited the those with the highest rankings - and rejected each in turn.

In some desperation, we finally took a chance on Jasmine Thai - and it far surpassed our expectations.

This is NOT a luxurious restaurant - rather plain and a bit stark. Run by a Thai father and his youngish sons.

We both ordered a chicken in coconut milk with lemon grass and lime. We ordered a large order of rice on the side, since none came with the entree. We skipped, due to skepticism, both appetizers and salads. In hindsight, I wish we had not.

The meal was simply superb. Nothing less. Richer flavor and more balanced than expected. Fairly large servings.

Jasmine Thai came awfully close to earning five stars from us - but that is reserved for a few truly exceptional meals.

We do recommend this place most HIGHLY, however.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Decent food if you are looking for a change from regular NZ/American food. They had enough veg options for us. Dosent serve alcohol

Date of visit: December 2017