Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Very personal treatment

I made a last minute decision to do part of the Alps to Ocean track and Jill from Lakeland Explorer... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Soloexplorer100
Rotorua, New Zealand
Amazing experience!

Jill from Lakeland Explorer is amazing! Made everything so easy and checked in with us each... read more

Reviewed 12 November 2020
madeleinerose10

All reviews amazing experience jill cycleway bike accommodation photos
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 December 2018

Dealing with Jill from Lakeland has been a breeze. She's super good at comms, always answering emails and messages super fast. A very reactive person. I planned my alps to ocean trip at the last minute as I wanted to make sure I had a good window of good weather. I pretty much called Jill at 3pm saying I would be in Twizel the next hour! She met me at the hotel an hour later, I picked my bike, she gave me the paniers and we met the next day to head to Mount Cook. It all went great. And goodness, the trip was magic. Fabulous landscapes. But it was hard work, long hours in the saddle, some crossing of streams with high flow, pushing through pavers, but in the end that was an adventure. Camping in the wild along the lake pukaki with no one around. Just loved the experience and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see wild NZ rather than the NZ with many tourists around. Jill is lovely and I really enjoyed using her services. She even came to pick me up and this other cycling buddy met along the way when she heard the Ohau weir was closed. A+++++

Date of experience: November 2018
LakelandExplorer, Manager at Lakeland Explorer, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2018

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you Charlotte and share some of your adventurous spirit.
Thanks for choosing LAKELAND Explorer for your Alps 2 Ocean journey. Safe travels.

Reviewed 9 December 2018 via mobile

Alan and I were very lucky and won a weekend getaway prize with Mackenzie Region. We were greeted by Jill and Jan who dropped us off for the Lake Benmore bike ride. Jill was very informative and shared a lot of interesting information along the way. The ride is well worth it and so picturesque. Definitely a must do in Twizel thank you.....

Date of experience: December 2018
LakelandExplorer, General Manager at Lakeland Explorer, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2018

Thank you so much for your great review. We thoroughly enjoyed helping you enjoy a great weekend in The Mackenzie.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

Had a great day renting a bike and cycling part of the Alps 2 Ocean trail. The service was outstanding and we could put the bike ride together just how we liked it and got really good advice! Definitely worth it!

Date of experience: November 2018
LakelandExplorer, Manager at Lakeland Explorer, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Thanks for your great review.
We were thrilled to hear you loved your A2O Trail experience on our A2O Day-tripper Lake Pukaki. Best wishes from us for all your NZ holiday.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Jill was great. We booked a 1 day bike hire and shuttle service so we could bike 1 day of the alps to ocean cycling trail. Jill was friendly and very helpful. We cycled from the tekapo power station (along lake Pukaki ) to Twizel. It was a great day, fantastic views . We were provided with maps, panniers , bike locks, helmets, and transport to the start. Fantastic day.

Date of experience: April 2018
LakelandExplorer, Manager at Lakeland Explorer, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Hi and thanks for your review.
I’m thrilled to hear you enjoyed the ride as much as I do. Regards Jill

Reviewed 10 March 2018

It was an perfectly clear night for stargazing at the Ben Ohau station, and guides Jill and Daniel made for an amazing experience. Jill filled the time with informative explanations and stories, and Daniel brought his camera gear and took some spectacular time-lapse photos.
Dress up warm, it definitely got cold as the night got darker. The tour provides you with warm blankets and hot drinks, but you really need to layer up! Officially the tour runs from around 10PM to midnight, but Jill and Daniel had us until past 1AM! We saw the Milky Way, multiple constellations, and the rising of Jupiter and Mars. A must do if you're ever in Twizel!

Date of experience: February 2018
LakelandExplorer, Manager at Lakeland Explorer, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thanks for your great review it was a pleasure to share the beautiful night sky with you.
Thanks also for sharing your good advice re dressing warmly. We provide extra thermal jackets, pants, gloves, hats for anyone who needs them.
We do try to keep the tour within the 2 hour schedule - but sometimes people just aren’t ready to leave :)