All reviews four star hotel ferry boat lovely town first floor off season water view hot dishes opposite the ferry terminal free car park opposite breakfast terrace slow internet comfortable bed booked this hotel croissants fantastic hotel every morning main town
Reviewed 13 September 2018

Recently stayed here as it is considered to be one of the top hotels in the Islands. but it has some things that work for and against it;
great location across from ferry - noisy ferry traffic from within room at all hours
upgraded rooms face ferry - therefore louder
beautiful breakfast terrace - lacklustre breakfast
main floor bar - closed the entire stay
The pro's
1) the hotel is very clean
2) great location
3) beautiful breakfast terrace
4) good water pressure

The Con's
1) the hotel lacks all soul
2) a 4+ star hotel should have amenities. this one has none save for the breakfast terrace. Could not get a drink at the bar once during the stay - the whole place had an ookie feel
3) noise from the ferry. noise from the door to the hallway (the base of the door has no sweep and you can hear everything that happens in the hall
4) one front desk staffer is lovely and so helpful, can't say that for the older lady.
5) to say the breakfast was boring would be giving it too much credit

Unless you have to stay beside the port, I'd sooner recommend NOT staying here

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, book a room at the back of the building, if you value a good sleep
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Location good if you want to be in the centre and by the ferry which we did. Breakfast terrace view is however of the ferry and traffic below. Room is fine and has WiFi. Breakfast is poor. You have to ask twice - and get up and find the waitress- just for one small cup of coffee. A second one is almost impossible as you again have to find a waitress just for one cup. Cooked breakfast looked awful so never had it. Fruit and yogurt ok. Croissant I had was stale so didn’t have pastries on subsequent days.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2018

We booked this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and its location on the island. The location of the hotel is great, right in the middle of all of the shops and restaurants. However, it is also right in front of where the ferry's load and unload so we could hear the banging noise of when the cars would drive in and drive out of the boat. We had a room with a view of the water (which was really a view of the ferry's) so this was much more prevalent in our room.

The other cons where that although the room was very well remodeled, the bed was very uncomfortable and hard to sleep on. We also didn't think that breakfast was anything special, not representative of a 4 star hotel. Also, as we were eating breakfast on the patio, we could smell the sewers at times (depending on the direction of the wind) which was not pleasant. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2018

Yet again, I would like more than five to score from because this hotel is better than "60%"; however, to give four out of five would mean it's 80%; it isn't. The two reception staff are excellent (and what long hours they must put in which makes me wonder if they are shareholders). The sea view room we had was good; cannot fault anything. The breakfast selection was disappointing for what is classified as a four star hotel although the view from the balcony is good. Of the waiting staff, Sonya (I think I remember the right name) was friendly but if I'm naming one person, I think the reader might get my drift.

Probably outside the realm of solution is the fact that the drains right outside the hotel do smell. That did not affect the bedroom but it was noticeable entering and leaving the hotel and on one of the three mornings at breakfast. The hotel is well-located if bus transport around the island or to Caprera is needed. Would I recommend the hotel? Yes.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We loved staying at Hotel Excelsior.
The hotel was right next to the port ,but we were not disturbed by any noise from the ships.
The staff on reception were very friendly and went out of their way to help with directions and restaurant suggestions. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included and consisted of some hot dishes and breads,croissants, fruit,yoghurt, cold meats, cheese, and sweet treats as well as juices. Coffee was also available on request.
I would definitely recommend Hotel Excelsior to anyone visiting La Maddalena.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple