“Amazing place to go”
Review of Cafe Renaissance

Cafe Renaissance
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Renaissance is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 203 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$14 - US$35
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I was met by the Maitre D' which is the owner of the restaurant and has been there for many years. When we arrived we told them we had to leave in 45-60 minutes to a conference and they accommodated us and made sure food came out on time. The food was exquisite and the service impeccable. I enjoyed the baked oyster special which was in a spinach cream sauce with crab meat and the Filet Mignon. My wife had the sweet potato soup with the Veal Scaloppini special. My wife and I each ordered a glass of wine and THE POURS WERE THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN. See the picture attached. We told them unfortunately we didn't have time for desert and asked for the check. When they came back with the check, included was also a slice of lemon cake and a slice of chocolate cake with plastic forks for the road on the house.

2  Thank DemianKolb

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Accidentally came to this place for dinner during my recent business trip to Northern Virginia and it was a pleasant surprise. The owner/manager was genuinely warm and courteous. The price is fair and the Rock Fish with Scallop was cooked to perfection and the potato was THE BEST I have had in my entire life. It is NOT an exaggeration and believe me - I have had a lot of potatoes. I will definitely come again next time I am in town.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

So despite some of the negative reviews, we decided to give this place a try for our date night. We were greeted with a French greeting and a warm welcome which set our expectation for some fine dining. That expectation was quickly let down. We waited for some time to have our order taken and it wasn't until after our order was taken that bread finally arrived. Our water cups sat empty for quite some time despite many onlookers (waiter, food runner and owners). We had ordered some oysters as an appetizer and were convinced to order two. When they arrived they were pretty large (one would have been plenty for two), but we decided to dive in anyways, as we love oysters and order them often. The oysters were very grainy and covered in cocktail sauce, I am assuming to cover the awful taste and quality. They literally made us gag. We finished them out of being polite and to get our moneys worth, but just thinking about them makes me gag even now. We were hopeful our main course would make up for it. Once served, we were again disappointed. We did not feel this was french cuisine at all, and we both got a different entree to try and share. I've had similar food at a hotel restaurant or wedding, very disappointing.

As we started to discuss our displeasure among ourselves we started to piece it together. For a Saturday night in the summer this place was pretty empty. The exaggerated greeting was probably coming from a place of gratitude that someone walked in. The owners kept sitting at their guests table, which at first seemed friendly, but we were glad we didn't have a third seat or he may have intruded on our dinner as well (very pushy). They answered phone calls loudly, were cleaning up and paying off staff members while patrons were still present (we actually saw cash in hand). All just seemed very unprofessional. We quickly decided that we could not give these people any more of our hard earned money (We spent ~$130 on two glasses of wine, two apps, and two entrees). We opted to grab coffee and dessert elsewhere, but not before they tried to twist our arm for some drinks and dessert. Watch out for the upsell! Its like a used car lot.

In summary, this restaurant should decide to either be a more relaxed, casual dining as their behavior and food would suggest. Or spend the time, money and energy into being Fine dining as their pricing and decor would suggest. Will definitely not be eating here again. Save your money for other Vienna staples such as Bazin's on Church or Maple Avenue Restaurant, you will not be disappointed. Or if you really want Fine dining french cuisine, spend the extra cash and go to Chez Francois in Great Falls

1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 27 July 2017

What a great place for a good meal. The owner - Saeed - will greed you and the food and service was exceptional. Been at many French/Italian Restaurants and this ranks as one of the best.
Started with Oysters in a Pernod Cream Sauce-wow and everything all four of us had was wonderful including a tableside made Apple Dessert. Wine list is good and not over priced too.
Whenever we visit our family in the area we will be coming back.
Thanks for a great meal.

1  Thank Bruce W
Reviewed 20 July 2017

We 1st visited this restaurant back in the early 90's when it opened. It is in a non-descript strip shopping area in Vienna. Décor is a bit over done but comfortable. The Owner greeted us like long lost friends even though we had not been there in years. The service was attentive but not stifling. The food was absolutely terrific. I had a piece of rockfish cooked perfectly. We had a "special" desert as it was our anniversary, The fact alone that it is still operating and busy after all these years is testimony to its lasting quality and service.

1  Thank Henry4218