1,663 results
All reviewsala moana blvdmarina towerred lobsterabc storewaikiki beachwithin walking distancealoha spiritstreet noiseflat screen tvsmall hotelconvention centeracross the streetlight sleeperthe entire staffsmall poolcoffee machinewould highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed 2 August 2018

I stayed here for 2 weeks in November of 2017. As soon as I checked in they charged my credit card...that way you cannot cancel your stay and find another hotel. The room was dark and small. There is a reason they do not show you the balcony on the website - horrible and unusable. The furniture was old and breaking. Handles on the drawers were broken or missing and the bed was horrible. I was very afraid of bugs (ie. bed bugs)...however, I should be happy that the next day there was a note in my room advising me that there were doing their monthly bed bug and rodent check. That made me feel so much better. I strongly recommend any to really find something else. There are so many other places to stay.

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank Barbara B
Chris W, Director of Guest Services at The Equus, an Ascend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Aloha Barbara B,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay with us November 2017. I am so sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity if you're ever back in Waikiki. A lot has changed here since your last visit . I hope that you have not been sitting with questions or negative feelings these past months regarding your time here, so I just wanted to give you some answers to your comments.

Depending on the reservation and how it was made, we do charge or authorize for the entire balance, a credit or debit card from the registered guests when they check in. Should you decide to cancel or checkout early, our hotel will never penalize you, we will only charge you for the nights stayed with us. For instance, if your reservation was August 1st- August 4th, and you checked in, came down sometime on august 2nd and said "I need to check out tomorrow, august 3rd", we would only charge you for August 1st and 2nd. Your checkout would then be 12pm August 3rd. The reason we have a deposit to guarantee your reservation and a cancellation policy is because our product is a perishable item. If we hold the room for you, that means nobody else can book it. If you show up, decide the room is not for you, it will be hard to sell the room back to the public on such short notice. Every Hotel in Waikiki has this policy. It's the same thing when buying airplane tickets. You bought the ticket, they saved the seat. if on the day you're supposed to take off and you decide you cant fly, they are still going to penalize you because they held the seat for you.

I do apologize if our rooms were small for your taste. In Waikiki, most hotels in our location and price range, will have an average standard room size of around 200-250 sq ft. Our rooms are little more than 300 sq ft. We also offer a HUGE 1 bedroom suite on the 10th floor with a pickaboo ocean view. We do go for the rustic look which is different from a lot of the open air and modern hotels which can give our property a warmer feel. Regarding your balcony, we have never received a complaint before. If you happen to remember your room number I will most definitely go to the balcony and make sure that it is indeed usable. Feel free to email or call me anytime at chris@equushotel.com, 808-949-0061.

I am glad to see that we were able to appease your fears of bugs by letting you know that we are doing our monthly termite control. We do live on an island and in the summer time, these little critters do appear from time to time. Every hotel/condo does a monthly termite control to try and prevent insects from entering the property. As we have never had bed bugs or rodents, we do not advertise a monthly bed bug and rodent check. We work with EcoLab, an extremely reputable termite control company here in Hawaii to handle any termites.

There are so many places to stay here in Waikiki, you are correct, but I do hope that you saw some value and had a little fun in our hotel during your 12 nights with us. We are right across the street from the waters edge, we are just a 6 minute walk to the worlds larges open air mall. We are surrounded by world class dining, restaurants and activities. Although your stay here was less than satisfactory, I hope that your time here on Oahu was enjoyable! Thank you again for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Mahalo nui,

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Perfect, Prime Location with Great Rooms!
Professional, Sincere, and Attractive Staff!
Pleasant Accomodations and Amenities!
Neat and Authentic Theme!
Fun and Relaxing Coffee & Cocktails Bar!
Cool, Clean, and Cozy Pool!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Chris W, Director of Guest Services at The Equus, an Ascend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Aloha Andy B,

Mahalo for your 5 star review and wonderful compliments :) I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. The best feeling a hotelier can have is reading a review like yours. You loved the location, our rooms and overall theme of the hotel -- Super important and glad we were able to accommodate to your taste.

We really do love our jobs, so being professional and sincere is the easy part. You can't train it, you just have it. We are lucky enough to have a crew that is just... AMAZING! And thank you for noticing. I agree with your statement on attractive staff. I think we all clean up real nice! Thank you. We'll take compliments anywhere we can. lol. Please consider our hotel the next time you're in Waikiki. It would be our pleasure to host you again.

Have a great day, Andy.

Mahalo nui loa,

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

The executive housekeeper Jackie and front desk Ms. Rene made a minor request their priority. They went above and beyond to provide for our comfort. Aloha is alive in Waikiki wonderful staff so kind and considerate

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Aloha jaeda2018,

I am so happy to read your review! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to rate us on your experience while here. Your 5 star review is much appreciated! What makes me so happy is the fact that Miss Rene and Jackie made your experience better by focusing on your minor request. I know it does not seem like much, but we truly believe that it's the little things that we can do to help our guests experience exceptional service making their stay memorable and enjoyable. Other hotels can offer alternative, tangible amenities for their guests due to their budget. We are very aware that we are just a small boutique hotel surrounded by big name hotels, but we are keen on the fact that it's the bond formed between guests and hotel employees which makes all the difference. I'm sure glad you noticed and we are very humbled by your comments. Thank you! Please consider us your go to hotel next time you're in Waikiki. We would absolutely love to see you again :)

Mahalo,

-Christopher Weeks

Reviewed 17 July 2018

quaint hotel in a very good central spot, the last private owned hotel on the strip and the owners and staff will bend over backwards to help , rooms are clean and service is good, what else could you want ?? oh yeah it has a great bar and happy hour

Room Tip: closer to the ground so you can use the stairs
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Chris W, Director of Guest Services at The Equus, an Ascend Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2018

Aloha Peter M,

I love your point of view! Thank you so much for the awesome comments regarding our staff. We really do want all of our guests to have the best time while here at the Equus. We all legitimately enjoy hearing our guests thoughts on their experience and we just hope that our local knowledge and hospitality adds value to your time here on Oahu. We would love to have you stay with us again if you're ever back in Waikiki.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

The price for Honolulu cannot be beat but beware...this hotel is extremely fated and small. Rooms are reasonable size but furnishings are super old. please note road noise is very loud at this hotel regardless of floor so that bothers you, find another place. it is by Hilton Waikiki Village.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Aloha Zotmeister,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review regarding your stay. I am sorry that our hotel was not able to live up to your expectations. I hope that you were still able to enjoy your time here on Oahu despite the shortcomings you experienced. Have a great day, and we hope that you'll give us another opportunity the next time you are here in Waikiki.

Aloha,