1,776 results
All reviews fort derussy park wine and cheese reception fish hook partial ocean view full kitchen bbq area across the street one bedroom suite kalakaua avenue city view ala moana street noise beach chairs valet parking fitness center the main drag small balcony
Reviewed 29 January 2016

The best part is the location (adjacent to a very nice park and close to the sea (5 min walk); however, rooms facing Kalakaua Av are NOT GOOD, terribly noisy, if you keep the lanai door open you cannot have a conversation nor sleep!!!

We booked 2 rooms (1 with a kitchenette) and stayed from Dec 22-Jan 12 (needless to say the prices were ridiculously higher than earlier/later weeks, but due to kids' schools we had no choice).
Number one issue is the cleanliness of rooms, in one word - POOR (regardless of what other reviews say, this is NOT a clean place)! Please wash the floors (scrubbing with soap), it is essential that the accumulation of dirt over decades be gone!!!
I chose a hotel without carpets because I expected it to be cleaner, but I was very disappointed…. The common areas were better kept, specially the lobby and pool areas.
Second: OLD, nothing has been renovated in decades! Furniture is poor because it takes a lot of space and offers little storage space. Everything is too dark, counters and floors, furniture, please make it lighter, it looks like a cave!
AC is too noisy, we turned it off (was not necessary) and never turned it on again!
Cooking is possible but keep in mind that there is the bare minimum! Internet??? A great joke, works one min and not the next, intermittent should I say?
Nonetheless, most staff was professional and helpful, the "manager reception" (3 days per week) and yoga classes (4 days per week) were a reasonable highlight.
Over the last 25 years I've stayed in various hotels in Honolulu during Xmas peak season, so I believe that relative to more highly priced hotels (Sheraton Waikiki, Hilton Hawaiian village, Hyatt Waikiki, etc) this is an economic choice for families.
Finally, I confess that I was greatly dissatisfied with reviews I read in "tripadvisor" that evaluated this hotel much higher than it deserves! Overall is bearable, specially if you are staying for 3 weeks, but I'll not go back to the same place!

Date of stay: December 2015
2  Thank Tucatuca2016
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2016

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. We apologize for not meeting your expectations throughout your stay but are glad to hear that you enjoyed the signature amenities that we offer including the wine & cheese receptions and yoga.

Thank you for your honest feedback. It is comments like these that help us to strive for a higher level of service. Our team strives to exceed expectations in guest services, cleanliness and your experience.

We ask that you give us another opportunity the next time you are traveling to Oahu. Please reach out to me directly at sunny.chan@aqua-aston.com. I would like to personally assist you with your itinerary. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 January 2016

After a mixup with our hotel (we arrived a day early! My bad!) the Luani Waikiki took us in last minute & even gave us a military discount! The staff was friendly and the room was clean & comfy. It's a bit of a hike to the beach but other than that it's a great location. Happy hour 5-6pm with cheese, fruit and the like. Nice bar. No restaurant even though the sign at the front door posts hours! Nice pool. After traveling this far, we want to be on the beach, and you can be for the same price.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank generalnansi

Aloha,

Thank you for a perfect 5-star review. It is fantastic to see that we exceeded your expectations. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the wine & cheese reception along with your experience here at the Luana. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 January 2016

Booked direct, friendly efficient staff on front desk but nor really interested beyond their own responsibility. Concierge was a fail, we got better advice from adjacent shop keepers. Porter / Doorman has the cruisiest job ever. During our 4 day stay never saw him assist anyone with a bag and his directions suggest he had never ventured off his stand. Room was fine, clean but well worn. Air Con was very noisy, an old in wall unit with daylight visible around the edges.
Location is a positive, food stores across the road and at a quiet end of the strip yet only a 5min walk through the park to the beach. Underlies the maxim-- you get what you pay for.

Room tip: Parkside view had a glimpse of the ocean and was perfect for sunsets without ocean view price
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Sunny C, Guest Relations Manager at Luana Waikiki Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2016

Aloha Peter L,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your most recent experience with us. It is disappointing to see that we have not met your expectations throughout your stay at the Luana. We have definitely trained our team to provide guest services that are different than what was presented in your review. Your concerns have been shared with the rest of the management team.

Thank you for your honest feedback. It is comments like these that help us to improve. Mahalo for staying with us and we hope that you give us another opportunity to make this right.

Reviewed 26 January 2016

I realize it's near (not on) Waikiki Beach, but for over $200/night (and up) I expect, at a minimum, a clean room in which everything works. The lanai outside our room was so dirty I didn't even want to go out there, not to mention condensate from the a/c units in the rooms above dripping onto it. Both times I tried to use the DVD player to watch a movie (there's a free Redbox-type rental station in the lobby) I had to have someone from maintenance come in to make the AV equipment work. At least two of the three elevators had service outages during the four days I was there, too. The tile floors in the rooms get swept every other day, which is a problem if you track sand in from the beach, which anyone staying here is bound to do. The window a/c unit was old and very noisy.

The whole property has an air of neglect, as if the owner is preoccupied with his other enterprises, and with his large collection of very expensive classic cars, one of which is parked in a prominent place near the front door every day. I don't really want to see his Bentley or his XK6 or his immaculately restored early-model T-bird sitting there when I feel like I'm paying a lot for very little. There is no food or beverages of any kind available in this hotel (the restaurant was closed up, with a sign saying they were remodeling, although there was no evidence of any work being done on it.) What used to be a gift shop also sits vacant, and so does the bar. So also does the large building next door (same owner), which used to be a restaurant. Frankly, it's a little depressing.

The staff is very friendly and willing to be helpful, which is the best thing about the place.

I recently stayed at the Venetian in Las Vegas, paid less, and got vastly more.

Room tip: Insist on a room that doesn't overlook the gas station next door. The noise there will keep you awake from about 3 a.m. onward.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and other travelers. It is disappointing to see that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. We are glad that you were able to try out some of our signature amenities and glad to see that our repairman was able to assist. Your concerns were shared with our team and we will be working on improving our services that we extend to our guests.

We would very much like to hear more about your experience. Please feel free to email me directly at sunny.chan@aqua-aston.com. Mahalo for staying with us and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to make this right.

Reviewed 25 January 2016

This resort is fantastic. It's clean and well maintained and the staff are extremely friendly and anxious to see you have a pleasant stay. Restaurants are close by and the beach is a short walk away. A problem with my room wifi was fixed within minutes by a cheerful and helpful repairman...I can't say enough good things about the Luana. I've travelled quite a bit and these folks do it right! The Expedia rep was very helpful with tours and I'd recommend you speak with them for any of the numerous excursions they offer. First class service.

1  Thank rasputin_9

Aloha,

Thank you for a perfect 5-stars review. It is wonderful to see that we have exceeded your expectations throughout your visit with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found all the interactions to be pleasant.

Mahalo for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,