4,347 results
All reviews the mai tai bar the pink palace mailani tower banana bread surf lanai azure restaurant pink lady sheraton pool historic section garden view original building iconic hotel beach staff tower rooms beach chairs old hawaii an umbrella
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

My husband and I checked in yesterday for a 10 day stay. I think he was a little concerned before we got here about some recent negative reviews regarding cleanliness and customer relations issues he had read on a few sites and reached out to customer relations regarding his concerns and explained to them that we were celebrating our 20th anniversary and my 60th birthday and he wanted to make sure it was special and had no problems. Someone immediately responded by email to him and told him not to worry that his concerns would be addressed and they would make sure the room would be clean, ready and have the right amenities. When we arrived, the front desk woman, I believe her name was Lani, was very sweet, she congratulated us, made us feel very welcomed and provided us with lots of information. Then she said the hotel was sending some special gifts up to our room. Let me just say, at first look upon this pink palace I was almost in tears. This was exactly what I was hoping it would be. A time travel back to another era. Elegant, charming, not average, Hemmingwayish,( made that word up). I didn't want another cookie cutter chain hotel. I like the oldness, dings, the cracks, etc. It's very clean. The bed and linens very comfortable. That's what counts for me. Every staff member we've encountered so far has been friendly, kind, welcoming, and helpful. The front desk, concierge, beach desk, bartenders, Bell men, housekeeping and the restaurant people. I said so far, so hopefully it will continue. I will update at the end of my stay. I also want to say the grounds are beautiful and well kept and the location is just amazing. When we came back from dinner, waiting in our room was a bottle of champagne, a lovely commemorative ornament a piece of pink coconut cake, their house specialty, along with a lovely note congratulating us on our celebrations and thanking us for spending it here. Just lovely. I certainly don't understand how anyone can find anything negative about this place. We believe we've found a little bit of Paradise.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dianne C
StarwoodWaikiki2, Guest Experience Team at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Aloha Dianne C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful experience celebrating your 20th wedding anniversary, along with your 60th birthday with us!

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave such a kind review, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2018

I have stayed this hotel twice when I was only 17 years and many years ago with my family after the marriage. It’s well known as one of the highest quality hotel in Waikiki since I was a kid, but I would like to write their awesome hospitality today. We had 2 kids just had told by a doctor both boys had chickenpox. (Yes, we recognized it after we arrived at Kailua and moved to our next accommodation in Waikiki). They had to jail (feel like) in for a couple days and extended to stay there due to no approval to get back to Japan. On the first day we were allowed to go out of the room, we visited another famous 5 star hotel in Waikiki to have nice buffet. But as soon as the staffs and manager of the restaurant saw us, they changed their face awfully and told us we won’t able to have buffet there. The reason was “other customers will be upset”. Then, we tried to the restaurant in this hotel again. We already have known this place has a nice one too, of course, they accepted us with biiiiiiiiigg smile and welcomed us! Not only that, musicians came close to us and sang songs, played music too. I was about to start crying with thankful and happiness as . This was my great memory in Hawaii ever <3

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Bubble M
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here the first night of our three week trip. My parents and Mr 63’s parents had always stayed here.

Three of us in a double room (two double beds) made it a bit tight. Beds and pillows amazingly comfortable.

Small bathroom but a walk in wardrobe helped us spread out.

We were facing the garden on the first floor so no real outlook.

Staff were a bit aloof at check in but staff at the breakfast place and at the Mai Tai bar were nice.

All in all a lovely night at a five star iconic spot right on the beach!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank belgaicas

Aloha belgaicas,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are thrilled to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. We apologize for the service you received from our front desk staff (we will be sure this is addressed) however we are delighted that our team at Surf Lanai and Mai Tai Bar were great.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This was our fifth time at the Royal Hawaiian; we honeymooned there 30 years ago. It became a tradition that we stay a few days there each time we fly out of Honolulu. We cherish the history, the location, the atmosphere, and in the past, the attention to customer service. However, this time the service just wasn't there. It seemed to us there was a complacency, possibly due to new management, busy time, whatever. We left there saying we would go to a different hotel next time.
When we arrived, there were several bell stand employees but none of them came to open our doors. We exited the car and started unloading our luggage before anyone approached us. When we entered our room we were hoping to find the traditional prettily wrapped Royal Hawaiian banana bread on our bed, but not! Our gift instead was a 2017 Christmas ornament, which I found to be a little odd since our stay was in 2018. The air conditioner in our room did not work properly, so we called the front desk before we went out for dinner. We were told someone would look at it. When we returned, the room was still hot and the air was not working. We called again and was told by a different person that the air was controlled by a central location and there was nothing wrong with it. Fortunately we were only there three nights, it was very uncomfortable. This should never happen at a "luxury" resort.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank bdecastro
StarwoodWaikiki2, Guest Experience Team at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Aloha bdecastro,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We greatly appreciate your comments and feedback, and sincerely regret that we were not able to meet your expectations.

It sounds like the bell staff did not provide the usual helpful experience you have come to expect from us. We truly apologize for this disappointing service, and have passed your feedback along to the manager of the department to ensure this won't happen again.

We also reviewed your comments about the AC not working properly in your room, along with the banana bread that you have come to love, no longer placed on your bed upon entering the room. With the opening of our Royal Hawaiian Bakery last year, we are now giving our guests the option to choose from a variety of freshly baked items, which include our banana bread. We hope that you had the opportunity to get some and enjoy them during your stay.

We completely understand your concerns, and have addressed your comments to our respective departments, and will work towards improving your next experience with us. Please let us know if you have a chance to return in the future so that we can ensure that you receive the superior customer service and experience that you expect as a valued return guest to our property.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This hotel is amazing! A perfect oasis in the heart of Waikiki. Historic yet modern. Great views & beautiful beach.
Nice service. An extra charge for lounge chairs on the beach but worth it. We had a fabulous time here.

Date of stay: January 2018

Aloha taylorNY_ny,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property, and found the hotel to be amazing. We are also glad that you enjoyed the view from your room, and had the opportunity to lounge in our beach chairs.