“Great Veg restaurant”

Ranked #24 of 874 Restaurants in Providence
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2018

The Grange is a must to be vegetarian restaurant if you pass or stay in Providence. I had dinner a couple of times here and I had always really tasting dishes well prepared and well served. The menu may change according to the season and the vegetables available.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

I have visited the Grange approximately 10 times over the past two years. Food is nothing spectacular, but is better than average. It is a casual, reasonably-priced option that is a go-to when we are looking for lighter or vegetarian fare.

Service is, unfortunately, consistently bad. The main issues are:

- Inefficient management of table space and wait-list (open tables empty for long periods of time while people are waiting, tables left uncleared for ages).

- Not enough waiters to handle all tables during peak hours. Often the wait-time for putting in your order is very long.

- Getting waiters' attention can be challenging.

- Long wait-times for food during busy hours.

- Mistakes in orders, when anything is substituted/changed.

Service is friendly, and this is not a problem with the staff's attitude, however the kitchen and front of the house are simply not very well-managed, and waiters are not properly trained.

My advice would be to give it a try but avoid peak hours (and especially brunch on the weekend). It's not a restaurant which handles crowds well.

I wish they would abandon the whole hipster "drinking from jars" thing (isn't that over yet?). Jars are simply inefficient drinking glasses (there is a huge rim, people! How is that comfortable?).

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

There is a limit to the time someone should would for a simple egg dish
This took way too long for two plates of

Reviewed 10 July 2018

My daughter and I have made a hobby out of visiting great vegetarian/vegan restaurants and today we visited the Grange in Providence RI. First off- parking can be and is problematic as the Grange has no off street parking, and Broadway street is not an easy or fun place to try to find parking. I was able to find 2 hr parking about 500 feet past the restaurant- problem solved!

The restaurant is loud. They play some kind of rock music next to the bathrooms and it makes it a bit hard to hear the person you are with- and the restaurant was very crowded when we arrived. We were greeted by a cheerful attendant, and she told us there was a 30 minute wait. So we sat down in the waiting area, and had a seat within about 20 minutes.

It took about 15 minutes for a waitress to appear- but we were not upset because it was obvious the place was packed and there were but 3 waitresses on the floor. When she arrived she was very kind, courteous and friendly. She promptly took our order- and it took about 15 minutes to get our meals. My daughter and I both ordered the veggie reuben- and it was well worth the wait. Whole grain bread, home made sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, "pastrami" carrots, and swiss cheese.

This was as close to heaven on Earth as I have ever experienced in a sandwich- it was really that good! To top it off they also gave us home made sweet pickle chips, coleslaw, and chips. And yes- everything was home made!! My daughter also had a green mango smoothie that she enjoyed. She ended the meal with a Tres Leches Matcha cake, which was matcha cake smooshed into a mason jar with a macha kind of pudding enveloping it all and whipped cream with key lime shavings on top.

The entire meal came out to $42 and was well worth the price considering the care and attention the chef paid in the meal preparation and taste. Our waitress was 10 gold stars- really was a great young lady. I can't wait to try the Grange again!

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Earthy atmosphere, eclectic seating, varied menu, pokey service. Menu had plenty to choose from for the vegan in your party. Homemade soda was worth a try- shout out for the pineapple spice. Pudgy burrito was tasty and filling. Waffles with strawberry rhubarb sauce satisfied. Mushroom po’boy was generous and flavorful. Enjoyed the huevos rojos with egg, avacado & black beans a treat. Got lucky and were seated right away but busy enough place that they have a charming waiting area to accommodate.