Open today: 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Excellent Guide

Capt Davis is very knowledgeable about all aspects of PINS: History, natural history and fishing... read more

Reviewed 29 October 2018
fmlehr
Placitas, New Mexico
Fishing the beach

nathansadosky
Blanco, Texas

All reviews pins fishing history fun beach
Reviewed 14 July 2018

One of the best trips I have down pins in a long time this guy knows his stuff about the beach and about fishing he got me on my biggest bull shark to date

Date of experience: September 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Colin D, Owner at Padre Island Expeditions, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thanks so much Nathan! Can't wait to take you again sometime!

Reviewed 14 July 2018

We have been on a couple trips with Captain Colin and every time is a new experience. The kids always find cool critters and shells. Captain Colin knows every single one! We even had a campfire on the beach this last time. In a world where it can be hard to escape this is by far my favorite way!

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank ThankfulBlessed

Thank you so much! The pleasure was all mine!

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I will rate your business you did work but your comments to us like if we don’t catch anything by 10:30 you might as well go to bed were pretty bad. As much like turning off all your lights and in bed like you just quit. I been fishing shark for most my life and never saw a person or even more a guide just shut down everything like the sharks stop at 10:30 because your going to sleep. You then leave 2 of the six lines out of the water from 4:30PM to the next morning because your too tired? I notice such things because I use to do the same thing and bust my butt and know sharks don’t stop biting at 10:30 and I would always leave every line out and the seaweed was little or nothing. I will use another guide next time!

Date of experience: May 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Colin D, Owner at Padre Island Expeditions, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Dear Keith, I am sorry that you feel this way. I wish you would have let me know that you felt this way during the charter. I tried to work hard as possible for you by not only staying on my feet all day from catching bait to running out not the standard 3 or 4 shark baits, but a total of 6, which I additionally swapped out fresh baits every few hours on. I offered complimentary services such as a campfire and supplied firewood, as well as full use of my gear and bait and shark tower. As you can imagine, there are many variables while fishing and it is at the discretion of the guide to safely place baits and keep everyone safe. It is our policy at Padre Island Expeditions to not run the boat in the surf or the kayak in the surf after dark. However, I will point out that all six lines were out in the water with baited leaders all day and into the night, not out of the water as stated. It is at the discretion of the guide as to how many lines will be utilized while shark fishing, and when two lines washed in due to seaweed and current at 1030 pm, it is company policy to not run the boat in the surf after dark to carry those leaders back out offshore. During your trip we laughed and talked and you even took business cards and said you wanted to book multiple times a year in the future, you were so happy with the charter. I love the National Seashore and loved seeing that you were able to enjoy your trip while being able to use your speaker towers, your numerous beverages, your laser lights, and your LED floodlight towers-which do happen to be against park policy after dark. I do hope that you can find someone who can meet your needs next time, and I do wish you the best.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

I am a geologist and researcher at UT Austin. I hired Colin Davis from Padre Island Expedition to help me during a scouting trip to investigate the algal mat on Padre Island National Sea Shore. You won’t find many people that have such a wide and deep knowledge of the island than Colin. He knows so much about the natural resources, the history and the environment of the park. I learned a lot from him during our 2 days trip. We had a very interesting and enjoyable scouting trip on the island and I could have done without Colin’s knowledge and expertise of the islands. He knows that place like the back of his hand. He is a great guide and most important of all, he knows the place and where, when, and how to get anywhere. This is important, as it turned out during our winter trip with weather system coming through, Colin made the right decision to drive out of the beach so we wouldn’t be stranded there. Next morning, looking at how high the tide went that night, I can guaranty that it was the right decision. If you want to go on the island for research, fun, fishing, camping, or to learn about the island environment or history, you can’t go wrong going with Colin. I highly recommend him.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank Xavier J
Colin D, Owner at Padre Island Expeditions, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you Xavier! Enjoyed our trip together! Hope to see you again!