Open today: 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
A must do experience

What a truly fun experience! We spent the morning with Jan who taught us about pounamu and guided... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
ange_82_foxtrot
Sydney, Australia
via mobile
Great time carving

My partner and I ended up carving necklace stones for most of his family- over nearly 5 hours. It... read more

Reviewed 4 May 2021

from US$370.30
from US$262.57
from US$262.57
More Info
All reviews jade pieces support local rainy day whole process unique experience heli hike necklace stone jan carvings pounamu workshop grinding activity treasure weather coast
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 January 2021 via mobile

This is a hidden gem... yes that was a poor attempt at a pun. This is a home based studio just 6 ks south of the township. You are warmly welcomed by the family pets and made to feel part of the family from the moment you arrive. Jan is great at knowing when to step in and help and when to leave you to just give things a go. She is very supportive and encouraging.

I have always wanted to learn how to do stone carving. Who knew I would enjoy it just so much!! I made a morepork or ruru for my mum. She loves it.

Date of experience: January 2021
Reviewed 5 November 2020 via mobile

Awesome visit today. Made my own bracelet and really enjoyed the experience of picking your own stone then grinding it to shape. Thanks so much :)

Date of experience: November 2020
Reviewed 30 October 2020

This wasn't on our radar when we arrived at Franz Josef. Our plan was to do the Helihike but due to weather it was cancel. And we are kind of glad it was cancelled or else we might not have come across Jan's studio!
We had a wonderful experience craving our stones and Jan was very friendly and guided us with excellent instructions.
Great for a rainy day activity at Franz Josef.
And it was very decent priced. So go visit them and support local NZers!

Date of experience: October 2020
Reviewed 15 February 2020 via mobile

We had a great time carving our own pieces and would recommend this to anyone coming to Franz Josef. A good unique experience!

Date of experience: February 2020
JanneneJ, Owner at Te Koha Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2020

Thanks Guys. It was brilliant having you here.

Reviewed 11 December 2019

After becoming stuck in Franz Josef with the recent storm damage we had a wonderful time with Jan and her family, carving beautiful authentic Greenstone. I will wear my necklace proudly! I would recommend this activity to anyone, regardless of the weather!

Date of experience: December 2019
FarAway821800, Owner at Te Koha Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2020

Thanks for your lovely review. It was great to meet people with such a positive attitude and acceptance of Mother Nature. All the best for 2020