Open today: 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
A must do experience

What a truly fun experience! We spent the morning with Jan who taught us about pounamu and guided... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
ange_82_foxtrot
Sydney, Australia
via mobile
Great time carving

My partner and I ended up carving necklace stones for most of his family- over nearly 5 hours. It... read more

Reviewed 4 May 2021

from US$370.30
from US$262.57
from US$262.57
More Info
All reviews jade pieces support local rainy day whole process unique experience heli hike necklace stone jan carvings pounamu workshop grinding activity treasure weather coast
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 December 2019

After becoming stuck in Franz Josef with the recent storm damage we had a wonderful time with Jan and her family, carving beautiful authentic Greenstone. I will wear my necklace proudly! I would recommend this activity to anyone, regardless of the weather!

Date of experience: December 2019
FarAway821800, Owner at Te Koha Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2020

Thanks for your lovely review. It was great to meet people with such a positive attitude and acceptance of Mother Nature. All the best for 2020

Reviewed 14 November 2019

We called 2 hours before and they were able to fit us in. The family was so welcoming it was unbeleavable. They took the 4 of us who have never made anything like this and helped us make something we can wear anywhere. We loved it so much we called them after we left and they even opened early for us the next day so we could go again before we left town. Truly an amazing experience. Thank you Mike, Jann, Navada and Nugget.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 6 November 2019

I wish I could give more than 5 stars! Myself and two friends recently visited, and it was the highlight of our trip to the South Island. Jan is incredible, and guides you through the whole process. The entire experience was amazing, and creating your own jade pieces is really special. Not a question of if you should go, but when.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 19 October 2019

My daughter and I spent a couple of hours with Jan today creating beautiful greenstone and blue stone necklaces. First we selected our own stones (the stones are included in the $75 fee for the session). Then we used the grinding machines to make the stones into our desired shape. Finally, we spent 20 minutes polishing our stones with various types of sandpaper. Jan put holes into the stones, wrapped them with twine, and looped on the cords. We were amazed at how beautiful and professionally made the necklaces turned out. Plus Jan and her daughter Nevada are a delight to be around. This is a particularly fun thing to do on a rainy day. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2019
1  Thank maureen g
Reviewed 9 September 2019

Typically, I purchase jewelry pieces to remind me of my travels. Being able to make my own piece, and some pieces for friends, was awesome. It's a very personal experience and Jan was very helpful in making sure they came out well. The area itself has some stunning views of the mountains. I enjoyed my time there and the conversation, and some wonderful hot chocolate. And I now have some jewelry to always remind me of Franz Joseph and NZ. Well worth it.

Date of experience: September 2019