Open today: 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Best experience on the coast

What a win...ours boys aged 15 and 13 loved this whole experience. Jan the owner operator was so... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
francesh37
via mobile
A must do experience

What a truly fun experience! We spent the morning with Jan who taught us about pounamu and guided... read more

Reviewed 29 May 2021

from US$362.07
from US$256.74
from US$256.74
More Info
All reviews jade pieces support local rainy day whole process unique experience heli hike necklace stone jan carvings pounamu workshop grinding activity treasure weather coast
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 November 2019

We called 2 hours before and they were able to fit us in. The family was so welcoming it was unbeleavable. They took the 4 of us who have never made anything like this and helped us make something we can wear anywhere. We loved it so much we called them after we left and they even opened early for us the next day so we could go again before we left town. Truly an amazing experience. Thank you Mike, Jann, Navada and Nugget.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 6 November 2019

I wish I could give more than 5 stars! Myself and two friends recently visited, and it was the highlight of our trip to the South Island. Jan is incredible, and guides you through the whole process. The entire experience was amazing, and creating your own jade pieces is really special. Not a question of if you should go, but when.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 19 October 2019

My daughter and I spent a couple of hours with Jan today creating beautiful greenstone and blue stone necklaces. First we selected our own stones (the stones are included in the $75 fee for the session). Then we used the grinding machines to make the stones into our desired shape. Finally, we spent 20 minutes polishing our stones with various types of sandpaper. Jan put holes into the stones, wrapped them with twine, and looped on the cords. We were amazed at how beautiful and professionally made the necklaces turned out. Plus Jan and her daughter Nevada are a delight to be around. This is a particularly fun thing to do on a rainy day. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2019
1  Thank maureen g
Reviewed 9 September 2019

Typically, I purchase jewelry pieces to remind me of my travels. Being able to make my own piece, and some pieces for friends, was awesome. It's a very personal experience and Jan was very helpful in making sure they came out well. The area itself has some stunning views of the mountains. I enjoyed my time there and the conversation, and some wonderful hot chocolate. And I now have some jewelry to always remind me of Franz Joseph and NZ. Well worth it.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 15 July 2019

This was such a fun and creative activity to do. Jan was warm and welcoming and had us on the grinders within 15 mins. She gave great advice and was happy to help bring our ideas to fruition. Our finished pendants had a string applied so that they were ready to wear and were packaged in a pouch if you wanted to give as a gift. This was a great way to make your own souvenir from New Zealand and learn a bit about the skill of stone grinding and decorating. Thanks, Jan!

Date of experience: July 2019
JanneneJ, Owner at Te Koha Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2019

Thank you for that. Enjoy the rest of your time in N.Z.