“Unbelievably poor”

The Glasshouse Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 23 Restaurants in Franz Josef
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Description: With stunning glacier views the Glasshouse Restaurant provides casual ala carte dining designed for families and leisure guests. Open for buffet ora la carte breakfast from 6.30am to 10.00am as well as a la carte dinner(plus salad bar) from 5.00pm to 9.30pm, daily.
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

We were staying at the hotel and opted to stay in for dinner at the hotel restaurant. We arrived and asked for tap water and a bottle of wine. The wine was chosen and an ice bucket was requested. The wine arrived but no ice bucket. The waiter took our order and again I asked for an ice bucket. No ice bucket. The wine was getting warmer! No ice bucket. We again asked for an ice bucket. No ice bucket or any tap water. Eventually I went up to the waiter and demanded an ice bucket and the tap water. He appologised and the ice bucket arrived with a little bit of ice in the bottom and a complimentary bottle of mineral water! My wife ordered a beetroot salad which arrived with none of the advertised dressing. My rack of lamb (medium rare) arrived and was totally uncooked and raw. I asked the waiter to bring another piece of lamb properly cooked and some dressing for my wife’s salad. The same piece of lamb arrived but re-grilled and was just about edible. My wife’s dressing arrived which was just a ramikin dish of vegetable oil, unsullied by any of the usual salad dressing additives! Being british we didn’t throw plates at the staff we just asked for the bill but it failed to arrive for 15 minutes. We walked out but we were accosted on our exit and asked to sign the bill. I signed and left. Hopefully they just had a bad night, I know we did.

MickYuan, Restaurant and Bar Manager at The Glasshouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Dear Jon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed to hear that we did not deliver the service that you are expecting. We have proceeded an investigation and I can ensure you that this does not represent our general service standard. We hear your feedback well and clear and I am sure by the time when you see this response actions are already in place to make sure no blind spot remained in our service.

Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the rest of trip.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

My sisters and I wanted to do something special on our last night staying at the Scenic hotel so we booked a table in The Glasshouse restaurant.
When booking remember to ask for a window table so you can enjoy the view of the Franz Josef glacier. The food was lovely and the waiting staff were so polite and eager to help; my sisters would have preferred a few more simple / plain food options on the menu as not everyone enjoys fancy food.
The only hiccup in the experience was that we went straight to the restaurant a few minutes before our booking and the maitre d was waiting for us at the front of the other restaurant which is on the ground level so it was about 10 minutes before anyone appeared to seat us. It would be a good idea for the hotel staff to tell customers where to go when they arrive for the meal.
All in all a lovely experience and great food.

MickYuan, Manager at The Glasshouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Dear Sara,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your experience with us at the Glasshouse Restaurant. We are blessed with this great location which enable us to access to the breath-taking scenery of the magnificent Southern Alps.

My apologies for the wait before the dinner and your feedback will be taken on board.

I wish you the very best for the rest of your journey and have a safe trip home!

Reviewed 18 January 2018

My husband and I both ordered the rack of lamb which was accompianed with roasted tomatoes and scalloped potatoes. Our meat was done to perfection as was the herb crust and jus. The attentive staff and the incredible view of the mountains and glaciers heightened this excellent dining experience.

MickYuan, Restaurant and Bar Manager at The Glasshouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Dear Mdbelanger,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvidsor.

It is with great pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed your dining experience with us in the Glasshouse Restaurant.

I wish you all the best for the rest of your trip!

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

I went with the Chicken Breast Supreme as it was noted as a chef recommendation. I was not disappointed... It was delicious. My wife had a tomato-based soup and was very happy with her selection as well. There were plenty of vegetarian options for her to choose from (and gluten free as well). Sumit and fellow team were exceptionally gracious and provided great service. The views to the mountains/glacier were wonderful. It was the best meal we had in our stay in Franz Josef.

MickYuan, Restaurant and Bar Manager at The Glasshouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Dear Jeffrey,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your dinner with us at the Glasshouse Restaurant. I know how difficult it is to travel with special dietary requirements and I am happy that our menu meet the need for the madam.

Sumit is definitely a gem of the team and I am proud that the team has provided exceptional service.

Hope you enjoy the rest of trip in New Zealand and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

The breakfast was included in the package and the variety and quality on what was on offer was superb and really very tasty. The service was quite unquestionably outstanding.

MickYuan, Restaurant and Bar Manager at The Glasshouse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Dear DavidMay,

Thank you very much for taking your time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed our breakfast here, both food and service.

I hope you enjoy the rest of trip and will see you again in the future.