Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
US$74
US$74
US$66
eDreamsUS$66
CheapTicketsUS$74
Trip.comUS$74
All reviews cook dinner minute drive free wifi helicopter trip would stay again franz joseph stayed two nights motel town accommodation kitchenette damp units privacy heating
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 January 2019

Check in easy & friendly. Room could definitely use an update, but clean with a kitchenette and decent sized bathroom. We really liked that you could back car up under the awning to your room, as it was raining when we arrived & we were able to unpack the car and stay nice & dry. Location was good -nice & quiet with just a short drive to hot baths, restaurants and the glacier. They have laundry facilities, but no access to buy soap for it if reception is closed.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2019 via mobile

I don’t mind certain missing amenities when I know up front. This place lists that it has WiFi but it is so slow that you can’t open anything. Also the tv volume was so low and not adjustable that we couldn’t hear anything and the water for the shower has no water pressure. We won’t be staying again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2019

A classic Kiwi Motel with a view of Franz Josef Glacier (visibility permitting). Very clean and well appointed. Large room and bathroom. The owners were very pleasant but notices on the wall make you feel like an intruder. They have cooking elements you are not allowed to use (despite having pots and pans in the cupboard). Not allowed to heat or eat spicy food (dont know who decides that!). Must wash all dishes. If you dont clean properly you get billed extra!! Pictorial reminder to get out by 10am. It is a motel not a boarding school. Shame really as okay property in a good location.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2019

We had a cabin which was really a 1970s time capsule. In great condition. Only one complaint, they really need a new lounge in cabin #3 as it's collapsed and you're sitting on the pine frame. Kitchen has everything. Great early morning view of the snow capped mountain. Trampoline for the kids. Easy to find and check in, chilled. And outside of the busy town which makes for a good nights sleep. Cheers!

Room tip: Get a cabin - no common walls
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2019 via mobile

There are a couple of positives about this particular accommodation. The rooms were clean and well appointed.

Although the WiFi was very patchy and kept dropping out angle the TV was very difficult to use, I have few complaints about the actual room itself. Even the location, which does not have an actual view of the Franz Josef glacier, wasn’t too bad. It was just a short drive from the Franz Josef village.

My gripe is, however, VERY significant. We arrived at the motel in torrential rain at 1.15pm. A small sign on the reception’s sliding door stated that the office would unattended until 2pm. Noticing that the door was locked and we were 45 minutes early, I decided to ring the doorbell. Nobody came, so I gave it a second ring just for good measure... Now please note, we were early, and if nobody came to our assistance, that would have be n totally understandable. I rang in the hope that we could find some respite from the rain.

What opened the sliding door and greeted me was sheer anger and hostility. I think her name may have been Sue, but whoever it was, she lost the plot. Delivering phrases like ‘can’t you read?!’ and ‘I think you need glasses’, her rant and especially it’s delivery took me aback. She inquired ‘how many people are in your party?’ Lost for words, I said 2 adults. She looked over my shoulder and noted there was a baby seat in the back of our car and barked ‘what have you got in the back?’ I said ‘I was going to mention that we have a baby’ so she said ‘then it’s not 2, it’s 3... and you need counting practice as well’.

She was still being openly hostile and at this point I’d had enough and I asked her to please drop the attitude. As a non-confrontational person, That’s surprised myself by correcting her on her demeanour. But it was WAY out of line. The whole encounter left me feeling quite shaken up and angry. Sue (if that is her name) immediately shifted gears and was as nice as pie, pointing out local amenities and attractions. Still struggling for words, I simply collected the keys and went outside to tell my wife about it.

In short, if you think friendliness and hospitality should be an integral part of your accommodation experience, do NOT stay at the Glacier View Motel.

Trip type: Travelled with family