Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
US$142
Free cancellation until 29/07/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
US$142
Booking.comUS$142
Hotels.comUS$142
CheapTicketsUS$142
1,012 results
All reviews nice hotel superior room new zealand buffet breakfast the ground floor main building comfortable beds small town good size reception staff in town stayed here for one night guest laundry double bed two nights south island heli hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 May 2021

The hotel is superb. Very well run, with super-friendly and efficient staff. The rooms are very comfortable with excellent views. We enjoyed one breakfast and two dinners and the cooking was sublime. Five stars from me!

Room tip: mountain view
Reviewed 17 May 2021

For this t lime of the year very quiet in town. The hotel itself is large and we were log as red at an an ex on the ground floor.
Room was comfortable although maybe a little dated and could be upgraded.
Did not use lounge or bar so can not comment on service. Location to other services excellent.

Reviewed 5 May 2021

To start our Franz Josef experience, we had to wait around ten minutes at check in, before the only couple in front of us were processed.
Then we were told we would have to pay a further 2.5% surcharge on top of the $204.00 we had already paid.
Then we were told the Restaurant was CLOSED, but there was a restaurant in the hotel in the next block we could use BUT!unfortunately it was fully booked for the night.
BUT we could walk down the street( in the rain) and try to find a cafe or restaurant
Then our room was so cold, we had to retrieve a heater from our motor home to warm it up enough to be comfortable
Then the beds! the most uncomfortable we have ever experienced
So DON'T waste your money by booking here, go find somewhere that provides value for money.

Date of stay: May 2021
Alexander Tschampel, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2021

Kia Ora petelafeet,

I am very sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. Despite all our effort to make you and your wife feel comfortable. Has a hotel we have failed to exceed your expectations on us and I am truly sorry and most apologetic.
in regards to your concerns, please allow me to provide the following feedback.
Your check-in to the hotel was delayed due to another guest (who did not have a booking) arriving just a little bit earlier than you and a full booking had to be created. This normally takes around 5 to 10 minutes and I remember that I acknowledged your arrival and made you aware that I will be with you as soon as I possibly can. You correctly pointed out that our sister property was fully booked the day, what explains that I did not have a seconded front office staff on as it was all hands on deck for us that day. That the restaurant was fully booked that evening was due to other guest bookings and there is simply no other explanation. You can believe us that we would have loved to have you and your wife dining with us but this was simply not an option. I remember that I provided you with alternative dining options that were in close proximity tor your guest room and as a hotel standard we are providing hurricane umbrellas in all our guest rooms for your guests to use. I further remember, that I provided you with three different payment options at the time you checked in with us. Cash, EFTPOS or credit card - the latest payment option costs the hotel 4.5% on commission so our preferred options are Cash or EFTPOS payments. For guest that decide to pay by credit card we charge a 1.5% surcharge which we declare to guests in advance. Prior to your arrival, I personally 'comforted' your room and switched on the heater to provide a nice and most importantly warm welcome to you. I remember that you called me to your room after your check in as you had forgotten your cell phone charger and I presented you with charger cable options that we could provide to you. During my visit, I could not ignore that your room was very warm (for my personal taste a bit to warm but this is preference). Anyway, for guests that require additional heating in their room we have portable heaters that can be requested from reception. Next time you stay with us please simply call us from your in-room phone and let us take care of you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Nga mihi,

Alexander Tschampel

Reviewed 11 April 2021

We saved up for this trip and thought we would support the Hotel. Receptionist was nice but the foyer was very cold & sterile. Only ever saw one staff member.
Restaurant and bar closed down and we were told that we could use the restaurant across at their sister hotel but it was fully booked for the whole weekend. Garden had overgrown. Noisy room location across the road from a bar, main road and helipad so we didn't get much sleep. The room was pretty average and outdated. Had much better room at a Hostel. All in all have no idea what we paid for except for a bed and shower. Very disappointing as this was our family holiday. Left a day early to catch up on sleep.

Room tip: Tell them you've got kids and want a quiet room so you can sleep
Date of stay: April 2021

Kia Ora Traveltheworld760099,

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on us as a hotel.
We are currently in unprecedented times that bring a lot of challenges with us for any tourism or hospitality business in New Zealand or world wide.
Rest assured that we are working through the concerns you have mentioned in your feedback and hope to be able to welcome you again to the hotel in the future.

Nga mihi,

Alexander Tschampel

Reviewed 9 April 2021 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Room was comfortable. Not flash and could do with a bit of an upgrade. We were in ground floor unit and you could hear the people upstairs clumping about so the soundproofing is not the best. View from room was lovely of the mountains. Good location with walking distance to village. Ok for a short stay.

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple