Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$122
Hotels.comUS$122
Official HotelUS$122
Expedia.comUS$122
FindHotelUS$122
CheapTicketsUS$122
1,007 results
All reviews nice hotel superior room new zealand buffet breakfast the ground floor main building comfortable beds small town good size reception staff in town stayed here for one night guest laundry double bed two nights south island heli hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 February 2021

Our room and bathroom was adequate, clean and well equipped, as we were here just for one night on a group tour with AATKings. Surrounding views from outside the hotel was picturesque and the walk was pleasant. Our dinner at the hotel was freshly prepared and well presented.

Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank Naina-Damani
Alexander Tschampel, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2021

Kia Ora Naina-Damani,

Thank you for sharing our feedback with the wider TripAdvisor community.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Please stay well.

Reviewed 23 December 2020

While off to a rocky start (there was no one there at 7pm so book you late check ins early, and I was charged a credit card fee that wasn't refunded for an eftpos card), it really is a lovely place. I normally find initial disappointment quite hard for tourism operators to turn around, but this place did it.

The view of the mountains is spectacular, although it looked like not all rooms had this. It's a bit of maze to find the room, but it is well posted. I was most impressed however by how clean the rooms were and the services within the room (inroom safe, quality (read scent) of the bathroom products and tea selection). Small touches like the lights on and the curtains shut before check in really made it stand out. While my room on the ground floor was polished and really nice, I think I'd ask for an upstairs one next time, just for a better view of the mountains.

Date of stay: December 2020

Kia Ora Katenz123,

Thank you for your kind feedback.
I am really pleased to hear that we managed to turn the situation around for you before you left our hotel.
Once again, sorry for providing you with a disappointing start to your experience with us.

Stay well.

Reviewed 17 December 2020

Arriving at reception of this hotel by shuttle, found reception was closed and an intercom to call for attention. A staff member in halting English came and collected me to show me to my room. The room was as expected, comfortable and warm. Unfortunately the female staff member then demanded a credit card "in case I damaged their room". I do not own one, and had prepaid for the entire tour I was on. After telling her I would call my travel agent and ask for a refund, she backed off and left. Most unpleasant experience of my 10day tour. Luckily the next morning a wonderful breakfast and attentive staff at the other side of the hotel set me up for the next stage of my journey towards Christchurch via Transalpine Train. Training required for one person at this hotel.

Date of stay: November 2020
Alexander Tschampel, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2021

Kia Ora Barbara S,

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that your initial welcome to the hotel wasn't as expected but would like to advise that it is common practice in New Zealand and around the world to ask for a form of security (in form of a credit card or cash deposit) on arrival. This should not be seen as a drop in service and rather as a security measure taken by the hotel. Too often have accommodation providers found themselves in the difficult position that they have to repair or replace their room inventory after a guest stay.

I am please to read that the remainder of your stay was enjoyable to you.

Please stay well.

Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier

Reviewed 6 December 2020 via mobile

While the weather during our short stay was a little less than perfect, our stay here was everything we could have hoped for. From check-in to check-out our experience was fantastic. Thanks to Alex for a very warm and informative welcome. We will be back.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Kia Ora DionH7107,

It was a pleasure to look after you and I hope our paths will cross again.

Reviewed 25 November 2020

Set in nice park like grounds. Great to wake up in the morning, pull back the curtains and see the snow covered peaks. Our room had a shelf to lay out two cases, something rare for hotel rooms.
Staff had to be versatile at present because of the ongoing low occupancy rate, but managed quite well. They even put the fire on for us to dine in front of it. Evening meal was very well priced and recommended. They made us feel special.

Date of stay: October 2020

Kia Ora Freddyll,

Thank you for putting pen to paper and for sharing your experience with the wider TripAdvisor community.
We are looking forward to your next visit in the hopefully not so distant future.