1,007 results
All reviews nice hotel superior room new zealand buffet breakfast the ground floor main building comfortable beds small town good size reception staff in town stayed here for one night guest laundry double bed two nights south island heli hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 December 2020

Arriving at reception of this hotel by shuttle, found reception was closed and an intercom to call for attention. A staff member in halting English came and collected me to show me to my room. The room was as expected, comfortable and warm. Unfortunately the female staff member then demanded a credit card "in case I damaged their room". I do not own one, and had prepaid for the entire tour I was on. After telling her I would call my travel agent and ask for a refund, she backed off and left. Most unpleasant experience of my 10day tour. Luckily the next morning a wonderful breakfast and attentive staff at the other side of the hotel set me up for the next stage of my journey towards Christchurch via Transalpine Train. Training required for one person at this hotel.

Date of stay: November 2020
Alexander Tschampel, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2021

Kia Ora Barbara S,

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that your initial welcome to the hotel wasn't as expected but would like to advise that it is common practice in New Zealand and around the world to ask for a form of security (in form of a credit card or cash deposit) on arrival. This should not be seen as a drop in service and rather as a security measure taken by the hotel. Too often have accommodation providers found themselves in the difficult position that they have to repair or replace their room inventory after a guest stay.

I am please to read that the remainder of your stay was enjoyable to you.

Please stay well.

Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier

Reviewed 6 December 2020 via mobile

While the weather during our short stay was a little less than perfect, our stay here was everything we could have hoped for. From check-in to check-out our experience was fantastic. Thanks to Alex for a very warm and informative welcome. We will be back.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alexander Tschampel, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2021

Kia Ora DionH7107,

It was a pleasure to look after you and I hope our paths will cross again.

West Coast General Manager

Reviewed 25 November 2020

Set in nice park like grounds. Great to wake up in the morning, pull back the curtains and see the snow covered peaks. Our room had a shelf to lay out two cases, something rare for hotel rooms.
Staff had to be versatile at present because of the ongoing low occupancy rate, but managed quite well. They even put the fire on for us to dine in front of it. Evening meal was very well priced and recommended. They made us feel special.

Date of stay: October 2020

Kia Ora Freddyll,

Thank you for putting pen to paper and for sharing your experience with the wider TripAdvisor community.
We are looking forward to your next visit in the hopefully not so distant future.

West Coast General Manager

Reviewed 12 November 2020 via mobile

Excellent staff and extremely helpful with local knowledge to share. Nothing was ever a problem and the pizza from their restaurant was amazing. Our room was great with everything we needed. Great lication with just a short walk to the various activities available in Franz Joseph. AAA+++

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Management response:Responded 13 November 2020

Kia Ora Paulhank8

We are all delighted to read that you had such a great time with us

Kind Regards
Louise Hollis

Reviewed 8 November 2020

We stayed two nights at this hotel.The staff were professional.
The room was immaculate and the view was stunning.
We would definitely stay here again. The location is a few minutes walk to the town shops and restaurants. We also dined in at the hotel's restaurant. the prices were very competitive.

Date of stay: October 2020
Management response:Responded 10 November 2020

Kia Ora WendyG84

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review of your stay with us.

Its great to read that you had such a great stay with us and that the staff did such a wonderful job looking after you

Thanks