All reviews the kitchen bed dorm private ensuite drying room bathrooms were clean tv lounge square supermarket communal areas open fire tea and coffee free wifi pleasant stay sauna hostel shower facilities heater
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

The YHAs I have stayed at in NZ have been awesome, with the exception of Franz Josef. Upon getting back to my room after dinner, I discovered my bed sheets were not clean and very stained. There were no staff onsite so we had to call the emergency number. The ladies that came to bring me new sheets were very kind and apologetic, but unfortunately could not provide me with another sheet that was not stained, as they said it was the end of the season so all the sheets are stained. Eventually the assistant manager arrived and was once again lovely, and managed to find me a sheet without any stains. It was 11:30pm before it was sorted out. Clean linen is really the bread and butter of any establishment you go to so you can sleep, and “end of the season” is not an excuse. If something is dirty it should be thrown out and replaced right away. The hostel has the potential to be great, with a large kitchen and dining room, but was just all round grimy. The drying room stank, the sauna wasn’t working, and everything smelled musty. I can really put up with anything as long as the linen is clean though, so on that point alone I will not be returning.

Stayed: April 2018
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Hi jmck9207,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are glad to hear your issue was addressed accordingly by our helpful and friendly staff.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experience while staying with us and agree with you that "end of season" is not a valid excuse for what happened.

All of our sheets that didn't meet the highest of standards have now been disposed of and replaced with new ones.

Also, our Sauna has been repaired and is being enjoyed by our guests in these cold days.

It is great to hear that you've enjoyed your stays at all the YHAs you've stayed in and hope this didn't change your mind about this wonderful hostel network.

We will continue to work hard on improving our systems, procedures and facilities to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Kind regards, Mauro Giordano - Hostel Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Purpose built youth hostel - modern and in good condition, clean and comfortable. Rooms basic but quite adequate. Plenty of bathroom facilities. Friendly and helpful reception staff. Large lounge and dining room + TV room. Good kitchen facilities. Close to all facilities.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Dean A, Many thanks for your review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and the facilities at YHA Franz Josef. We hope you had a memorable time in Franz Josef and to see you again soon. Kind regards, Mauro Giordano - Hostel Manager

Reviewed 9 March 2018

my stay was on Oct 2017. we and my husband was so surprise after we checked in, we never expect a backpackers hostel can be so clean and nice. well equipped kitchen, clean shower room and toilet. strongly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Hi Ivy Lavander

Thanks a lot for your review.

We're very happy to hear you and your husband had a pleasant surprise after checking in at YHA Franz Josef. We're very proud of our high standards of cleanliness so it's great to read your positive feedback :)

We hope you had a lovely time in Franz Josef and to see you again soon.

Best regards, Mauro Giordano - Hostel Manager

Reviewed 8 March 2018

First time staying in a YHA. Three of us shared a room with a private ensuite, very clean and spacious enough. Was impressed with the kitchen and the facilities, much better than I ever imagined. There was no other accommodation in Franz Josef and we literally took the last room available here. Was sceptical but turned out surprisingly very well and quite enjoyed the experience and mixing with other travellers. Was concerned we would be the odd old people in the place but pleased to say many older than us were staying.
Great location.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Hi Lepa M,

Thank you for your review.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at YHA Franz Josef and that you were impressed with our facilities.

It's also great to hear you were able to mix with other travelers from different age groups and hope you made some new friends during your stay.

All the best, Mauro Giordano - Hostel Manager

Reviewed 7 March 2018

My stay was from sun 4/3/18-tues 6/3/18. The great sights bus driver dropped me off right outside the yha which was very convenient. Check was quick. I was in a five bed dorm room 101. The room was nice and clean, and there was enough space for bags and suitcases. The bed had its own individual light and there were plug sockets also near the bed. No lockers in the room however I saw lockers in the hallway corridors on ground floor, nz$1 for small and nz$2 for bigger ones. The bathroom on floor one was clean and a good size. It had both the toilet and shower in the one room. Wifi was great it worked in the room. The kitchen and dining area was clean, big and very spacious. There is only one four square supermarket near by which was small. I would stay at the hostel again as the staff were very welcoming and it was really big and clean.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi 1Sam, Thanks you for your review of our hostel. We're delighted to hear you had a great stay with us and made good use of our facilities. It's also great to hear you found our staff to be helpful and friendly and that you would stay with us again :) Hope to see you again very soon! All the best, Mauro Giordano - Hostel Manager