“Great thin crust pizzas”

Monsoon Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Franz Josef
Price range: US$11 - US$23
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Monsoon bar and restaurant will quite possibly be your favourite bar in NZ, with roaring fires & regular DJ's. We carry a large range of New Zealands finest beers and wines. The Monsoon restaurant will satisfy your hunger whatever your budget with all you can eat pizza nights, bar meals and a specially created ala carte menu specially designed by our head chef Ronald Lacanilao who has created a menu of mouth watering local delicacies to treat you after a hard day glacier exploring. Choose from over 40 different gin's, have a create your gonna experience Monsoon: it rains... we pour...
Reviewed 3 January 2016

The Monsoon was a buzzing café / bar. Staff were really friendly and service was prompt. the thin crust pizzas are filling and have a great choice of toppings. So good we went back again!

Date of visit: December 2015
Write a reviewReviews (738)

Reviewed 30 December 2015

We decided to dine here because it was attached to our accommodation and after a long drive didn't really want to go to far from home. The staff were friendly, they looked like they had got off the Kiwi Experience bus and decided to stay for a while, but they knew how to pour a beer and serve the meals so good on them I say!

The choice of beers on tap is pretty good and the menu looked promising. Unfortunately I sent my meal back; it was cooked okay but I think the chicken may have been a bit off as it had a funky taste to it (and I wasn't going to risk it). The staff were great though - they offered to make me another meal, were very apologetic and refunded us. They handled it well and I really appreciated that. Hubby had the mussels and was happy with his meal.

I really liked the tables in the courtyard with the open fire plus there were heaters on the beams so if you weren't sitting right on the fire, you could still be warm. Only thing is that this cool spot is the smokers section - something I'm still getting used to after living in Qld where smoking in public has been banned for years.

Over all it was a nice pub and I'd pop in again if I'm passing that way.

Reviewed 30 December 2015

This restaurant was very busy as it catered for a number of tour buses. The young travelers ensured there was a real buzz. The food was good but the service could have been better. Good family dining.

Reviewed 29 December 2015 via mobile

The food here is simple but tasty (we had pizza). They have a great selection of drinks and a variety of options from formal dining to bar-style.
It's a great venue for relaxing after a day of exploring the region.

Reviewed 28 December 2015

Food was of good quality and was open for both breakfast and dinner each day. Service was very good and not too expensive.

1  Thank Graeme F