HeliServicesNZ Fox & Franz

from US$210.27
from US$371.73
from US$274.10
More Info
All reviews snow landing grand tour mt cook these guys helicopter flight mt tasman awesome pilot highlight of our trip minute trip next morning short flight highly recommend this company fresh snow amazing flight awesome experience bad weather glacier country
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

We only decided the night before that we were even going to book a helicopter flight over the glaciers.

If you have limited time, do not have the right gear or can't face the 1.5 to 2 hr walk to come 400 to 500 meters from the terminal face...this trip is for you!

We booked the 30 min Fox/Franz fly over with Mount Cook views and a landing on Franz.

From the minute we called at 8am to arriving at The Alpine Adventure Centre, we were met with friendly and enthusiastic staff.

We arrived around 2.5 hours early from Greymouth and they kindly allowed us on the earlier flight - they must of sensed our excitement.

Bill was such a smooth and safe pilot but that didn't mean a boring ride...oh no! A wonderful, steep ascent over the mountains and gradual turns over the glaciers made the ride exhilarating!

I don't want to add spoilers here, please just book this trip, don't beat yourself up about the cost, just do it and worry about it later...it is worth every cent!

The commentary was brilliant but the views will literally take your breath away. Deep cracks with blue ice, formations that look straight out of a Sci-Fi movie and the snow, brilliant white snow!

When the flight came to the end it didn't feel too short but obviously you don't want it to come to an end.

If you don't want to hike on the glacier or walk to it, do not miss out on this bucket list experience.

I am writing this from my hotel and wondering how I will sleep tonight as I am still buzzing 5 hours later!

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank ranidkny
Michael N, General Manager at HeliServicesNZ Fox & Franz, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Thank you ranidkny for your wonderful review.

Wow, such a fantastic review - from friendly and enthusiastic staff, Bills smooth and safe piloting skill's, and formations that look straight out of a Sci-Fi movie. "just do it and worry about it later... it is worth every cent" A definite bucket list experience!

Reviewed 10 April 2018

We went on this trip on a beautiful day. Blue skies and sunshine, great views and a snow landing! Amazing experience. Would love to do it again.

Date of experience: February 2018
Michael N, General Manager at HeliServicesNZ Fox & Franz, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Thank you Joan W for your great review. We would certainly love to take you again on your next visit. We are very pleased you had an amazing experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

There are a lot of helicopter companies operating out of Franz Josef and Fox Glacier, and I can't say I've heard a bad word about any of them. We were recommended to these guys and they didn't let us down.

As an experience, it's simply incredible!

From a company perspective, they're fantastic from start to finish - booking staff, check-in staff, ground staff out on the pad, and finally the pilot. All friendly, laidback people there to make sure the experience was as incredible as the one we had.

The launch point is right in the middle of the Franz Josef township as well, so it's walking distance from most accommodation too!

We travelled in a six seater (+ pilot), with a smooth and comfortable ride all the way up and back (my first chopper experience). Flights are based around weather conditions, and if the cloud comes in too low then you sadly have to wait until it clears (or obtain a refund I expect).

We took the twin glacier flight with one landing, in our case on Franz Josef Glacier. Left the Franz Josef pad and flew straight up the glacier at a fairly low altitute, affording a great view all the way up (with windows allowing for plenty of photos as well). At the top we landed at a lovely open spot, with plenty of room to walk around, take photos and play in the snow. Our pilot (Ken - who was fantastic!) offered to take photos for anyone who wanted with their camera, and also took some himself (would you believe he had a picture-quality printer for near-instant prints in the back of the chopper? - these are available for purchase on landing).

After a reasonable time up on the glacier, it was time to leave, heading off to the south with great views back down Franz Josef before heading over to almost-as-spectacular Fox Glacier, tracking back down it's line, followed by a quick cross-country trip over the glacier deltas back to our starting point.

I couldn't recommend it more highly!

Date of experience: September 2017

Thank you Andrew G for your great review. Wow, what a great write up about your "simply incredible experience" and high recommendation. Very happy you had such a great experience and your description was amazing. Great review!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

A fantastic trip to Mount Cook and the two associated Glaciers. Jamie the pilot was outstanding and made sure our journey was informative and enjoyable. From beginning to the end of our adventure the staff were very attentive and helpful. I fully recommend this company.

Date of experience: March 2018
Michael N, General Manager at HeliServicesNZ Fox & Franz, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Hi Russell M, thank you for your wonderful review. Great to hear your pilot Jamie was outstanding in making your experience informative and enjoyable. We work hard to promote to our staff how important it is to be helpful and attentive. Thank you so much for your recommendation.

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

This was an absolutely incredible experience especially as I had never been in a helicopter before but that was all tainted by the extremely poor customer service.

When I first rang I was surprised with how rude the person on the phone was, especially as I was ringing to book something. Instead it appeared my whole phone call was an inconvenience. When I arrived a few days later the customer service was exactly the same despite it being a different person. Not entirely sure why the customer service was so poor especially considering this for a lot of people will be the highlight of their trip.

The pilot was the only person I met while dealing with this company that was any good. He was fantastic and made a real effort with everyone on our tour. I wish I got his name so I could give him the credit he deserves.

All in all an amazing bucket list moment, ruined by the poor customer service.

Date of experience: March 2018

Hi foodguru010390, thank you for reviewing our company. Fantastic to hear your had an incredible experience having never been in a helicopter before.

It is certainly a concern you felt customer service was not up to standard and we have already had a briefing with staff discussing your disappointment. It is such a busy time of the year, we still need to be mindful of our customers and the need to still be as attentive and helpful as possible at all times should never diminish. I thank you for your input and hope that you can come back another day so we can show you our greater customer service. I am pleased to hear your helicopter flight was an amazing bucket list moment.