See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 January 2018

This post is a bit different. I didn't actually get to experience staying here but I had to write to let people know how helpful these people were. Because of a mix up with our travelling mates, I mistakenly booked for two nights instead of one. Turns out I couldn't change it to one night because of the dates and Arn was wonderful in getting me a full refund when it didn't look like that was going to happen. He went out of his way to help me and I will be forever grateful and if I am ever back in this part of the world i'll make sure I do stay there. Robyn

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2017

The owner could not have been more attentive or inviting. We were shown around the farm and ate a brilliant homemade breakfast. Everything is done with sustainability in mind and the location is amazing with a backdrop of mountains. Loads of wildlife around (lots of interesting birds) and farm animals and a short drive into the main town and glaciers. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2017

An imposing home that is a throwback to old-fashioned service and comfort. The photo we booked on did not do justice to the scale of the property and home. Clearly a lot of attention has been put in and we would happily come back to stay.

Our room was the equivalent of a 5 star hotel with the freedom of open spaces and views. It was a truly unique experience to stay. My GF got be a farmer for an hour and feed animals such as giant rabbits.

The food is curated by the owner and it was commonplace to find two different cakes made for the day along with breakfast(farm to plate) and fresh baked bread. A huge alcohol collection including many vintage champagnes, wines and whiskies were on offer to retreat into the front room complete with piano.

The owners were down to earth and genuinely excited to have guests and all staff seemed very eager to please. I would not hesitate recommending a stay.The owners have many connections in town and we wished we had not pre-booked our sightseeing as we could have saved some time and money. A very beautiful place to visit.

Room tip: All of the rooms are at the back so I think you will be fine
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2017

This cosy lodge is located just a mile away from the Franz Josef downtown area. The rooms are blissful, replete with a cosy bed, an exotic bathroom and a small kitchenette. The lodge also has a restaurant and a lounge area with a piano and a large television.
The views from here are amazing. The mountains right behind the lodge, and the front overlooking the beautiful Lake Mapourika. The owner is very hands-on. She actually made bookings, reservations, cancellations etc. for us.
The restaurant serves a good continental breakfast, and will be opening soon for meals too. The eggs and veggies are all organic and sourced from the animals and the plants on the property.

A must stay at Franz Josef, away from the bustling activity in the town, but still not too far away to make you miss out on the fun.

Date of stay: January 2017