“An Oasis Experience”
Review of Matheson Cafe

Matheson Cafe
Price range: US$3 - US$24
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Enjoy unsurpassed views of Mt Cook and Mt Tasman whilst dining at our contemporary style café at the entrance to the Lake Matheson Walkway. Open 7 days from 8am for breakfast, brunch and lunch, and open for dinner in peak summer season. Comfortable indoor seating and expansive deck area. Adjacent to the cafe is the ReflectioNZ Gifts and Gallery offering a range of high quality Kiwiana products, clothing and souvenirs. Lake Matheson is one of New Zealand's most scenic icons. Situated on the West Coast of the South Island, in the heart of Glacier Country and Westland National Park, the Lake Matheson walk is a must do attraction for all visitors to Fox Glacier & Franz Josef Glacier. 'Picture Perfect' reflections of New Zealand's highest peaks Mt Cook & Mt Tasman can be captured in the dark waters of this ancient lake formed by the retreat of the Fox Glacier. A trip to Lake Matheson is simply not complete without a visit to Matheson Cafe and ReflectioNZ Gifts and Gallery.
Reviewed 19 March 2017

After a very long, tiring hike through the spectacular countryside, we had around 20 minutes before our group departed. I grabbed a delicious Chai Latte and pastry for a refresh before departure.

The staff was friendly and accommodating and while I didn't take advantage of the menu, I could see from those around me that both the variety of what was available and the presentation was excellent. I wish I had more time to enjoy something substantive, but what I did have hit the spot – delicious.

The location of the restaurant is ideal and the modern open concept with a wall of glass windows provides just the view one might hope for. The public restrooms were clean and all in all provided just the refresh required for the next leg of the journey.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 18 March 2017

The café is situated at the DOC information centre at the beginning of the walk to Lake Matheson. It provides a stunning panoramic view of the Southern Alps with Mt. Cook and Mt. Tasman.
The food is pretty good although the portions are a little small for the price.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

If you want spend a good time near the lake, good choice. The food is tastg and simple. Good value for the touristic place. Don t exspect the fantastic view, normal no more

Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Highly recommend. The food is great. Priced fairly for a good restaurant. I had the lamb (excellent) and my dining partner the fish of the day (I can't remember what it was but she said it was delicious).

Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

Went there from a recommendation, which turned out to be very good. My wife and I both had the local lamb, which was excellent. The service was quick and friendly. We had a table in the window which gave us a fantastic view of Mount Cook at sunset.