Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Tom L
Sydney, Australia

Great views; disappointing service.

Review of Sunset Motel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Feb 2023
This hotel has so much potential; the views from your room are stunning and the visiting birds (including fowls) provide character. The rooms however, are adequate rather than spectacular and the lack of shower pressure was irritating. For whatever reason, the manager was unavailable to meet us in person on arrival and did this on-line leaving the responsibilities of checking us in with his delightful mother (who doesn't speak English). He was otherwise obliging, though. The included breakfast was also adequate rather than memorable. Check out was a case of leaving the key in a box without personal contact.
Date of stay: February 2023
Room Tip: Rooms at the back have great views.
3.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
$109
Fully refundable
No prepayment needed
View more hotels in Fox Glacier
All reviews lake matheson views of the mountains motel kitchenette unit sofa
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2023 via mobile

It’s a little down from the main highway towards Lake Matheson. but it means you get a great view of Mt Cook and Mt Tasman. We stayed in a unit at the back with a wide grassy area shared with the other units. Outdoor table and chairs to enjoy the sunshine. Pretty amazing to see the mountain peaks from your back door.

Staff were warm and checkin was easy.

Comfortable units with sofa, coffee table, heated towel rails in bathroom, and a fan for the bathroom. No aircon needed in January. Kitchenette was handy with kettle, microwave and fridge and basic cutlery, bowls, plates, cups and wine glasses.

Wi-Fi and TV and enough space for 3.

Rooster, chickens and birds visit

Room tip: Free Parking outside the unit. It’s a very small grocery store in town.
Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2021 via mobile

Great quiet overnight stay. Triple studio unit was tidy and clean. Had everything we needed for overnighter. Comfy bed and Good value for money. We arrived later than planned and check in was easy. Beautiful view of Mt Cook which looked stunnning at sunrise. Good selection.of tea and coffee. We would stay again.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2020 via mobile

There was a great view from the room and good birdlife. The furniture and fittings are newish and the bed is comfortable. Bottle of milk is a nice touch. Lighting a bit dim for reading. We enjoyed the spa bath. The management were friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: December 2020
Reviewed 1 November 2020 via mobile

Loved our stay here . Lovely room with a wonderful view of Mt Cook . Spa bath , everything you needed. Perfectly clean an tidy . Helpful staff . We will be back .
We visited in October but it didn’t give Oct as an option for some reason . TripAdvisor ??

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank 255tracyf
Reviewed 1 July 2020 via mobile

Oh dear we just travelled right around the South Island and Stewart Island for 23 days, unfortunately this motel was not up to standard
We booked this motel and were told that the door will be unlocked with the key inside and they would not be there.
When we arrived I thought to myself what is that smell? Maybe I am imagining it until my husband came inside and sat down for a few minutes. My stomach started to feel queasy and eyes were watering. My husband complained to me about the smell too. He noticed stains on the bedcover.
I decided to go around and find someone - no one available. I then rang left a message, waited ten minutes, no reply, I then rang again, same thing. I noticed that another room was ready for another customer and they hadn’t arrived, so walked in and that room 23 had the same strong smell.
I decided I would ring one more time and the phone answered. I explained about the smell and they said they would come in the next ten minutes. By the time I went back to the unit hubby had a headache and not feeling well. Still no one arrived, so we decided to go and stay somewhere else.
When we arrived at the next place they ran and I said we couldn’t stay because of the smell, they agreed and said the chemicals were strong- to be honest there is nothing they could do to fix it. When you read the other reviews there is mention of strong smells. They said they air each room out 2 days before guests arrive.
I ask them to refund our money but they said no because I had to give more notice.
THIS ROOM IS NOT FIT FOR ITS PURPOSE.
They told me I was blackmailing then we I ask for my money back and threatened with bad reviews if I didn’t get a refund. Some motel managers obviously don’t know New Zealand law - fair trading act and consumer guarantees act. I encourage them to get fimiliar with the law.
they did offer me a free night - why would I want to stay there when it made me feel sick.
NOT HAPPY - paid for a room that was a disgrace.

Date of stay: July 2020