Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Ian A
Punakaiki, New Zealand

One night in December

Review of Sunset Motel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Dec 2020via mobile
There was a great view from the room and good birdlife. The furniture and fittings are newish and the bed is comfortable. Bottle of milk is a nice touch. Lighting a bit dim for reading. We enjoyed the spa bath. The management were friendly and helpful.
Date of stay: December 2020
    $87
  • eDreams
1.1 km from Sunset Motel
View more hotels in Fox Glacier
All reviews lake matheson views of the mountains motel kitchenette unit sofa
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 November 2020 via mobile

Loved our stay here . Lovely room with a wonderful view of Mt Cook . Spa bath , everything you needed. Perfectly clean an tidy . Helpful staff . We will be back .
We visited in October but it didn’t give Oct as an option for some reason . TripAdvisor ??

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank 255tracyf
Reviewed 1 July 2020 via mobile

Oh dear we just travelled right around the South Island and Stewart Island for 23 days, unfortunately this motel was not up to standard
We booked this motel and were told that the door will be unlocked with the key inside and they would not be there.
When we arrived I thought to myself what is that smell? Maybe I am imagining it until my husband came inside and sat down for a few minutes. My stomach started to feel queasy and eyes were watering. My husband complained to me about the smell too. He noticed stains on the bedcover.
I decided to go around and find someone - no one available. I then rang left a message, waited ten minutes, no reply, I then rang again, same thing. I noticed that another room was ready for another customer and they hadn’t arrived, so walked in and that room 23 had the same strong smell.
I decided I would ring one more time and the phone answered. I explained about the smell and they said they would come in the next ten minutes. By the time I went back to the unit hubby had a headache and not feeling well. Still no one arrived, so we decided to go and stay somewhere else.
When we arrived at the next place they ran and I said we couldn’t stay because of the smell, they agreed and said the chemicals were strong- to be honest there is nothing they could do to fix it. When you read the other reviews there is mention of strong smells. They said they air each room out 2 days before guests arrive.
I ask them to refund our money but they said no because I had to give more notice.
THIS ROOM IS NOT FIT FOR ITS PURPOSE.
They told me I was blackmailing then we I ask for my money back and threatened with bad reviews if I didn’t get a refund. Some motel managers obviously don’t know New Zealand law - fair trading act and consumer guarantees act. I encourage them to get fimiliar with the law.
they did offer me a free night - why would I want to stay there when it made me feel sick.
NOT HAPPY - paid for a room that was a disgrace.

Date of stay: July 2020
3  Thank themusketts
Reviewed 2 April 2020 via mobile

A clean quiet and comfortable motel room at an excellent price. Located a little distant from the centre of the village but with a fabulous view towards the mountains and glacier. We would stay there again without hesitation.

Date of stay: April 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
sunsetmotel, Manager at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2020

Dear Guests
Thank you for your comments and we are glad to hear you had a good stay with us.
We would love to seeing to seeing you the next time.

Reviewed 9 March 2020 via mobile

I only booked it this morning by accident thinking it was near Franz Joseph Glacier rather than Fox Glacier but it turn out to be a winner. The room is quiet, clean and thoughtfully catering to the tourist. It has everything you’ll need kitchen wise but lacks a cooktop but has both a good microwave and electric frying pan. The bed is comfortable and pillows too but the extra pillows are lumpy. (I always travel with my own pillow so it isn’t a problem). The nice patio area with less than good furniture was made up for by having two Isa Brown hens come up to share a pear I was eating. This was followed by two different native birds who seemed to be just curious but I had to stop them from coming in the room. I didn’t expect to be able to bird watch from my room. The manager told me about the glow worm walk when it got dark and this was fabulous.

The room could be made completely dark for sleeping by a lightproof curtain the draws across the entry door which is frosted glass and the highlight window above the sliding glass door to the patio which is also curtained. It also means that the room is very light during the day because of all the glass.

There is a large selection of DVDs for guest use as TV is limited.

All in all I found this a comfortable room for my nights stay.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
sunsetmotel, Manager at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2020

Dear guests
Thank you for your time to sharing experience with us. We are glad to hear you have a lovely stay in Fox Glacier.
Those hens are our neighbors and welcomed as always as they're harmless. It would be relaxing to siting outside of the little patio to watching the mountains.
We hope you have a great trip around in NZ.

Reviewed 29 January 2020

The room was musty and smelt. There was dark hair in the shower recess. Our room at the further end of the property could not pick up the wi-fi. Totally unacceptable for the high cost of this place. Also disappointed to only find out on arrival that the track to see Fox Glacier was closed.

Room tip: The further your room is from the front of the property the worse the Wi-Fi becomes. I couldn't even connect. Totally frustrating.
Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank paulrampling
sunsetmotel, Manager at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2020

Hello Paul
We are unfortunate to hear you did not have a good stay. The glacier valley walk closed due to heavy rain while ago.
However, we would be more than happy to arrange a glacier flight for you if you wished.