Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
eDreamsUS$47
ZenHotels.comUS$58
Trip.comUS$63
Agoda.comUS$47
Destinia.com
All reviews hot tub over christmas tv lounge enjoyed our stay spa pool south island hostel kitchen
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 May 2020

I stayed at Ivory for one night. It was very clean and nice place. I got a separate room for nice price (there was only one more person staying in this place, as it was right after covid pandemic ended, so not a lot of tourist). Kitchen fully equipped, room was warm.
I'm taking away one star due to not working sauna and jacuzzi (no info on their site about this and I was hoping to use it) and due to wifi not working perfectly in the room (it was working ok in kitchen and hall)

Date of stay: May 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2019

I really enjoyed staying here, staff are very friendly and helpful, the beds are comfy and there’s a really big kitchen area. Also we got a full spread of free desserts and wines over Christmas :) Recommend!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2019 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the hostel and its facilities were really clean. I was impressed with the Twin Room which was roomier than expected, and the kitchens are well equipped. There was also a nice view of the sunset from the hostel.

Unfortunately, I was a victim of the lack of security in the kitchen. Someone actually stole my bottle of Lobster Reef Sauvignon Blanc Rose clearly labelled with my name. Last I checked, IT WASN'T IN THE FREE FOOD FRIDGE. Granted, the YHA sticker on it had a date a few days prior, but the wine showing up days after the supposed "departure date" should have been obvious enough. There also weren't labels or pens in the kitchen for me to edit my label with, so there's that.

Since there isn't a CCTV, what management should do is label the other fridges with something like "If it's not yours, do not touch the food in this fridge" and do weekly checks to make sure the guest has really left before putting actual free food into the free food fridge.

I am leaving a neutral rating because while the above incident left a bad taste in my mouth, it was the act of one bad individual and I have no complaints with the hostel itself to warrant a bad rating.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2019

This is a lovely hostel, the staff were all brilliant and I met so many interesting people here. The bed was the comfiest I've slept in on my whole trip! There is a huge kitchen with free spices and herbs! The lounge has a real fire which gave the whole place a warm and cosy feeling and there is a separate TV room with Sky tv (where I was able to watch Game of Thrones!!). There is also a hot tub and sauna, which I didn't actually use, but it was a really nice touch! This is one of the nicest hostels I've stayed in and Fox Glacier, is a charming town with very friend locals. I had such a nice experience here and I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Fox Glacier!

Room tip: The 6 bed mixed dorm had proper beds in it (not bunk!!)
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2019

We (two seventy something trampers) spent a night in the Ivory Towers Backpackers after coming off the Copland track and five days of tramping and cold swims in the river. We had booked a couple of beds in a dorm room, but the owner said because we had come from a long walk, she would upgrade us to a four bed room in one of their accommodation houses that featured its own lounge, kitchen and bathroom facilities.
Service was friendly and prompt, the beds were very comfortable and the facilities were clean. As to be expected in a backpackers there was a fair bit of traffic until after dark - but during the main tourist season that has to be expected.
We also hired bikes from the backpackers to peddle to Lake Matheson and one of the bikes had faulty brakes - but we managed to get back home okay.
Overall we were very happy with the accommodation and would use it again when we are in the area.

Room tip: Be nice to the staff and they will be nice to you.
Date of stay: March 2019