Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing other guests brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience caught fish end of the day fabulous food wonderful weekend heaven on earth great fish dinner table each evening
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 January 2020

My husband and I enjoyed a three night, two day visit recently at ORL. We are repeat visitors and it just....keeps.....getting.....better! Felix, Kylie, Ryan and Cassandra were stellar in their customer service. We enjoyed exceptional meals at Ryan's hand and Felix & Kylie see to the smallest detail including room amenities and impeccably manicured grounds. We are casual fly-fishing people and to that end DON'T overlook this place if you are not an expert in fly fishing. There are a multitude of various activities to engage in during your stay and the guides are great at mentoring and helping with technique. Our guide, Gavin, was an affable young man whom we throughly enjoyed. He provided efficient guidance and put us on multiple fish. Bottom line: we'll be back~ OH....Indie, the resident lab is irresistible and the wine list is impressive!

Room tip: all the rooms are excellent
Date of stay: January 2020
Felix B, Owner at Owen River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2020

Thank you Sue Ellen, its always a delight to have you & Mark stay with us every season !
Thank you for your very kind words and we look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 5 December 2019

Felix, Kylie and the amazing team at Owen River Lodge (ORL) continue to exceed expectations. I have been visiting the South Island of New Zealand since 1997 and have stayed at ORL several times now. From the first trip, ORL has been unique and outstanding - somehow it keeps getting even nicer! Felix is tireless at making ORL even better, which is no easy task given the high bar he and his team have already set.

The cabins are beautiful and comfortable and continue to look like they are brand new. They are meticulously maintained and luxuriously appointed.

The main lodge had some great but subtle upgrades since my last visit including a spectacular new picture window in the dining room overlooking the river and, during October, snow-capped mountains.

Chef’s Ryan and Jo impress at every meal. Delicious, hearty and healthy food.

At the end of the day, I visit ORL for the fishing and Felix has built (and continues to develop through an innovative training program) an impressive stable of guides. As good a team as I’ve seen in my 20+ years fishing the area. The lodge’s location is ideal and due to the great number of area rivers the diversity of the fishing opportunities feels endless.

Truly an outstanding experience in every way and it’s clear why ORL continues to win so many NZ tourism awards!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Felix B, Owner at Owen River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2020

Thank you Dave for staying and fishing with us again.The ultimate complement for a lodge owner is when guests decide to return and fish with us year after year !

Reviewed 1 December 2019

This was my wife's and my second trip to ORL in the last 8 months.
It was late spring and a wide variety of beautiful rivers were at our disposal.
Including the Owen River which runs through the property.
The fishing was out of this world. The guides first class. The total experience, one of a kind. That is because when you come back form a great day on the water you slide right into the warm confines of the ORL where Felix, Kyile, and the staff make you feel right at home. The food is spectacular. The fellowship is warm and inviting with the other anglers.

Date of stay: November 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and a huge thank you for staying with us again !!

Reviewed 24 November 2019

We were staying at Owen River Lodge in the early spring season, October, and we loved the place! Friendly and inviting staff. Great wines served each evening and with dinner. Which was the best! We were served gourmet meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner! Expertly prepared by friendly chefs and served by either Felix himself, or Kylie. As a fishing lodge owner myself, I learned a lot about how a 5 start lodge operates. Mine is tad casual, in Alaska, but I am definitely taking home some pointers! The cottages were so comfortable and well appointed. The housekeeping staff did a great job. My husband and his buddy loved the challenging fishing, and the guides were very helpful and patient. And friendly! As the non fishing spouse, I found a lot of time to relax, but also long walks, bike rides and a massage were great ways to entertain myself. I also had a day tour provided and was able to see more of the area, taste some of my favorite wines, and new ones, and had a marvelous lunch. This was booked separately, but a not to miss day for any non fishing guest with Felix and Kylie! I will accompany my husband again on this trip in the future. We love New Zealand and now that we know about ORL, we will be back!

Room tip: there are no bad cottages!
Date of stay: October 2019

I'm always nervous when fellow lodge owners stay & fish with us, thank you for being such lovely guests and thank you for writing such a lovely review

Reviewed 3 November 2019

Felix and Kylie know how to welcome, inform, host and wow. My husband and I combined our 40th wedding anniversary with 3 days at Owen River Lodge. It was a truly memorable experience. Incredible food led by Jo and Ryan international chefs, Stefano and Gavan our guides, river crossings by vehicle and by foot to remember, we even caught fish!!
Felix has loads of experience and has won many awards for his stylish accommodation (possum fur throws) stunning location and all over this guy knows what he is doing. Loved every minute of it. Lisa and Rick Melbourne

Room tip: They are all the same you cannot go wrong

Hello Lisa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - it was a delight to meet you & Rick.
Hope to see you back here again soon