Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing other guests brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience caught fish end of the day fabulous food wonderful weekend heaven on earth great fish dinner table each evening
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2019

This was my wife's and my second trip to ORL in the last 8 months.
It was late spring and a wide variety of beautiful rivers were at our disposal.
Including the Owen River which runs through the property.
The fishing was out of this world. The guides first class. The total experience, one of a kind. That is because when you come back form a great day on the water you slide right into the warm confines of the ORL where Felix, Kyile, and the staff make you feel right at home. The food is spectacular. The fellowship is warm and inviting with the other anglers.

Date of stay: November 2019
Felix B, Owner at Owen River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and a huge thank you for staying with us again !!

Reviewed 24 November 2019

We were staying at Owen River Lodge in the early spring season, October, and we loved the place! Friendly and inviting staff. Great wines served each evening and with dinner. Which was the best! We were served gourmet meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner! Expertly prepared by friendly chefs and served by either Felix himself, or Kylie. As a fishing lodge owner myself, I learned a lot about how a 5 start lodge operates. Mine is tad casual, in Alaska, but I am definitely taking home some pointers! The cottages were so comfortable and well appointed. The housekeeping staff did a great job. My husband and his buddy loved the challenging fishing, and the guides were very helpful and patient. And friendly! As the non fishing spouse, I found a lot of time to relax, but also long walks, bike rides and a massage were great ways to entertain myself. I also had a day tour provided and was able to see more of the area, taste some of my favorite wines, and new ones, and had a marvelous lunch. This was booked separately, but a not to miss day for any non fishing guest with Felix and Kylie! I will accompany my husband again on this trip in the future. We love New Zealand and now that we know about ORL, we will be back!

Room tip: there are no bad cottages!
Date of stay: October 2019

I'm always nervous when fellow lodge owners stay & fish with us, thank you for being such lovely guests and thank you for writing such a lovely review

Reviewed 3 November 2019

Felix and Kylie know how to welcome, inform, host and wow. My husband and I combined our 40th wedding anniversary with 3 days at Owen River Lodge. It was a truly memorable experience. Incredible food led by Jo and Ryan international chefs, Stefano and Gavan our guides, river crossings by vehicle and by foot to remember, we even caught fish!!
Felix has loads of experience and has won many awards for his stylish accommodation (possum fur throws) stunning location and all over this guy knows what he is doing. Loved every minute of it. Lisa and Rick Melbourne

Room tip: They are all the same you cannot go wrong

Hello Lisa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - it was a delight to meet you & Rick.
Hope to see you back here again soon

Reviewed 29 October 2019

I'd read about the owenriver lodge for years in Flyfishing mags so finally got to go with my wife, her first time Flyfishing what a loverly place you have built Felix right from the start with a light lunch then getting tina kitted out with waders and rod then dinner was out of this world thank-you Ryan and the guides Adam and chris really know there stuff and were very patient helping with her casting then landing her first trout we really did have a wonderful time thank-you

Date of stay: October 2019
Felix B, General Manager at Owen River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2020

It's always a delight to introduce people to the wonderful world of fly fishing, and to see the joy on Tina's face when she caught her first fish was priceless ! Thank you John for taking the time to write a review!!

Reviewed 18 October 2019

Felix - I just wanted to pass on my sincere thanks to you, Kylie, Ryan, Jo, Anton and Chris for making my stay at ORL a truly memorable one.

When you asked me whether anything could be improved at ORL for the first time in a long time I was left without anything to respond with – ORL and you and your team do absolutely amazing job in keeping your guests very happy.

The ambience at ORL is amazing and the facilities and accommodation are first class.

A particular thankyou to you and Kylie for taking the time to dine and chat with us - that was greatly appreciated.

I hope you all have a great season in what I refer to as “heaven on earth”. I am already scouring the 2020 calendar to find a slot for another trip to ORL.