All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing days fishing meals prepared spent days felix host lodge hospitality kylie
Reviewed 31 March 2018

We recently returned from five amazing days fishing the Owen River Lodge in New Zealand. For the last couple of years, I have been wanting to visit the Lodge to experience their amazing wild brown trout fishery.

Having never fished for Brown's in this way before my fishing partner Antonio and I were looked after by Anton and Hannah, two absolutely exceptional flyfishing guides. Antonio landed the biggest fish of the week at 8 1/2 pounds with my first ever wild brown trout coming in at 5 1/2 pounds.

Felix and his team could not do any more to make us feel welcome and importantly comfortable.

Nothing was too difficult.

The food was amazing.
The staff are amazing.

Most of all the lodge was difficult to leave and I can't wait to see it again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Felix & his team over delivered to ensure our culinary & fishing experience was 5 star. From the wonderful meals prepared by chefs Ryan & Jo, to the hospitality of Felix, Kylie, Julia & Chloe the lodge experience was near perfect.
The fishing guides are very knowledgeable & the number of rivers we had access to made for a great fishing experience in spite of the tough conditions.

Room Tip: All the cabins are great, whisper quiet with lovely amenities
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Thank you so much for taking such brilliant care of me. I'm still smiling at the wonderful hospitality from Felix, the lodge, and the guides. It's by far the best solo trip I've ever done.
As for being careful booking??? Seriously???? Sure things change, but this is an incredibly professional business and the cancellation policy is clearly stated. I think the amount of people that visit time and time again from all over the world says how trustworthy and straight up Felix is.

Room Tip: Just trust them, every room is stunning!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Despite a tough start to the year with record temperatures in January followed by cyclone induced floods we were able to catch some excellent fish because of the variety of rivers around the Lodge and their relative stability and the knowledge and persistence of our Guide Paul
Our 4th visit was outstanding with chef Ryan excelled himself again
The facilities are ideal and Felix’s hosting was once again superb

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018

My husband and I just stayed here for 5 nights and 4 days of fishing. We can only say: WOW, what a great fishing lodge! From the absolutely amazing luxury cottage accomodation, to Chef Ryan's incredible gourmet meals, and the super-friendly staff overseen by Felix and Kylie it was a brilliant experience. We loved the communal meals and the jollie company around the happy hour drinks and magnificent dinner table. And then there is the fishing - the legendary brown trout here are large but darn tricksy, but thanks to our brilliant guide Pete even I landed some great fish (and lost an 8.5 lb one after a mega-race down the river too!). Pete's strong arm helping me navigate the stony rivers was much appreciated too. Andrew (who actually knows how to fly fish) did even better. No doubt we will return to stay at this amazing lodge in this glorious countryside. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple