All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing first class brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing days fishing meals prepared spent days felix host lodge casting
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Felix & his team over delivered to ensure our culinary & fishing experience was 5 star. From the wonderful meals prepared by chefs Ryan & Jo, to the hospitality of Felix, Kylie, Julia & Chloe the lodge experience was near perfect.
The fishing guides are very knowledgeable & the number of rivers we had access to made for a great fishing experience in spite of the tough conditions.

Room Tip: All the cabins are great, whisper quiet with lovely amenities
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Thank you so much for taking such brilliant care of me. I'm still smiling at the wonderful hospitality from Felix, the lodge, and the guides. It's by far the best solo trip I've ever done.
As for being careful booking??? Seriously???? Sure things change, but this is an incredibly professional business and the cancellation policy is clearly stated. I think the amount of people that visit time and time again from all over the world says how trustworthy and straight up Felix is.

Room Tip: Just trust them, every room is stunning!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Despite a tough start to the year with record temperatures in January followed by cyclone induced floods we were able to catch some excellent fish because of the variety of rivers around the Lodge and their relative stability and the knowledge and persistence of our Guide Paul
Our 4th visit was outstanding with chef Ryan excelled himself again
The facilities are ideal and Felix’s hosting was once again superb

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018

My husband and I just stayed here for 5 nights and 4 days of fishing. We can only say: WOW, what a great fishing lodge! From the absolutely amazing luxury cottage accomodation, to Chef Ryan's incredible gourmet meals, and the super-friendly staff overseen by Felix and Kylie it was a brilliant experience. We loved the communal meals and the jollie company around the happy hour drinks and magnificent dinner table. And then there is the fishing - the legendary brown trout here are large but darn tricksy, but thanks to our brilliant guide Pete even I landed some great fish (and lost an 8.5 lb one after a mega-race down the river too!). Pete's strong arm helping me navigate the stony rivers was much appreciated too. Andrew (who actually knows how to fly fish) did even better. No doubt we will return to stay at this amazing lodge in this glorious countryside. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank genbye
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I booked this place for a Christmas present for my husband. I put $2500 deposit down. When they sent the information regarding "cancellation" I thought it was regarding the deposit. Any way, we are in Mexico because we are getting "temporary Residence" and we have to wait for immigration to process. It was suppose to take 2 weeks as we expedited the process but we have been here now over 3 weeks and still do not have. So I contacted the lodge and told them we were not going to make April 2nd and that we wanted to "RESCHEDULE".
I got a response that stated they were sorry we couldn't make it and they would be charging us the full amount....which is $5000 usd. I tried to communicate and stated we were not canceling and wanted to reschedule and got the same response. Then they just processed additional charge from our credit card. Very disappointed in this place and especially Felix, the owner! BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Mariah K
Felix B, Owner at Owen River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

I am saddened by this review and the writers attitude. As a very small lodge (we only have 6 guest rooms), cancellations have a devastating effect on our business. We articulate our cancellation policy to all enquiries, as a matter of fact it’s spelt out in 2 different locations in all our initial correspondence – in the body of the initial email and also attached with our rates/packages information sheet. I am unsure how I can make it clearer.

The reviewer gave us 10 days’ notice of their inability to stay and fish with us – due to their business commitments. At that late stage it’s simply impossible for us to rebook their room & fishing guide. With that little notice, I still need to pay the fishing guide, the extra housekeeping & wait staff that had been rostered on and so on.

I thought I was doing the right thing by indicating to them that I would be prepared to look at some form of credit should they decide to stay with us in the future, obviously this was not good enough for them.

I totally understand that the reason they could not stay with us was due to business commitments, it’s a pity they did not understand our business commitments are also important.