All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing days fishing meals prepared spent days felix host lodge hospitality kylie
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I booked this place for a Christmas present for my husband. I put $2500 deposit down. When they sent the information regarding "cancellation" I thought it was regarding the deposit. Any way, we are in Mexico because we are getting "temporary Residence" and we have to wait for immigration to process. It was suppose to take 2 weeks as we expedited the process but we have been here now over 3 weeks and still do not have. So I contacted the lodge and told them we were not going to make April 2nd and that we wanted to "RESCHEDULE".
I got a response that stated they were sorry we couldn't make it and they would be charging us the full amount....which is $5000 usd. I tried to communicate and stated we were not canceling and wanted to reschedule and got the same response. Then they just processed additional charge from our credit card. Very disappointed in this place and especially Felix, the owner! BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Mariah K
Felix B, Owner at Owen River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

I am saddened by this review and the writers attitude. As a very small lodge (we only have 6 guest rooms), cancellations have a devastating effect on our business. We articulate our cancellation policy to all enquiries, as a matter of fact it’s spelt out in 2 different locations in all our initial correspondence – in the body of the initial email and also attached with our rates/packages information sheet. I am unsure how I can make it clearer.

The reviewer gave us 10 days’ notice of their inability to stay and fish with us – due to their business commitments. At that late stage it’s simply impossible for us to rebook their room & fishing guide. With that little notice, I still need to pay the fishing guide, the extra housekeeping & wait staff that had been rostered on and so on.

I thought I was doing the right thing by indicating to them that I would be prepared to look at some form of credit should they decide to stay with us in the future, obviously this was not good enough for them.

I totally understand that the reason they could not stay with us was due to business commitments, it’s a pity they did not understand our business commitments are also important.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 day fishing trip at Owen River Lodge and superlatives cannot describe accurately enough the wonderful time we had. The outstanding service from Felix and Kylie together with the meals, fishing, guiding and accommodation were second to none. We will definitely be returning in the near future and recommend to anyone either as a couple, group or individual to put the Lodge on their bucket list.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

My first visit to NZ with my wife to fish and take a break. The rooms are impeccable, the food is 5 star, and the guides are world class. You need to have an open mind about your approach to fly fishing because nothing will prepare you for the stealth and approach required to catch the big South Island Browns! Special thanks to Chef Ryan and Joe for all of the special requests for my wife and her dietary needs. All of the coordination for 8-10 guests is handled by Felix the lodge owner. He will take good care of you during your stay.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 9 February 2018

My wife and I spent the final 5 nights of our three week trip around the South Island at Owen River.Truly the old adage of "saving the best for last" applies.The lodge is glorious, with every room designed for privacy and with spectacular views.Chef Ryan is simply world class.We have never had better food anywhere, whether at a lodge or in the many fine restaurants we have been privileged to experience.The outdoor spa and the lovely massage my wife enjoyed only added to the ambiance.We had wonderful, challenging fishing with our guide Anton. Good fish every day with the last day producing 6 and 7 pound browns, personal bests for each of us.We enjoyed the communal happy hour, breakfasts and dinner, getting to know our fellow travelers from all over the world.Finally, loved the dogs, and will always remember Felix chasing Indigo around the yard trying to retrieve my wife's socks which Indigo pilfered when I put them down for a second on the porch. Hilarious! Owen River lodge has our highest recommendation.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally spectacular.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2018

It's difficult to find enough positive superlatives to describe Owen River Lodge. The hospitality was, without exception, above and beyond in expectations: congenial, helpful, and exceptionally competent. Chef Ryan would be difficult to top in any milieu. His creations were imaginative, delicious and well-presented. The fishing experience was without equal: the guides were tops: knowledgeable, helpful and delightful company. The facilities were immaculate, well-cared for, and located in an absolutely gorgeous setting. I doubt that anyone, anywhere could find a better, more enjoyable fishing holiday.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends