Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing other guests brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience caught fish end of the day fabulous food wonderful weekend heaven on earth great fish dinner table each evening
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 day fishing trip at Owen River Lodge and superlatives cannot describe accurately enough the wonderful time we had. The outstanding service from Felix and Kylie together with the meals, fishing, guiding and accommodation were second to none. We will definitely be returning in the near future and recommend to anyone either as a couple, group or individual to put the Lodge on their bucket list.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

My first visit to NZ with my wife to fish and take a break. The rooms are impeccable, the food is 5 star, and the guides are world class. You need to have an open mind about your approach to fly fishing because nothing will prepare you for the stealth and approach required to catch the big South Island Browns! Special thanks to Chef Ryan and Joe for all of the special requests for my wife and her dietary needs. All of the coordination for 8-10 guests is handled by Felix the lodge owner. He will take good care of you during your stay.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 10 February 2018

My wife and I spent the final 5 nights of our three week trip around the South Island at Owen River.Truly the old adage of "saving the best for last" applies.The lodge is glorious, with every room designed for privacy and with spectacular views.Chef Ryan is simply world class.We have never had better food anywhere, whether at a lodge or in the many fine restaurants we have been privileged to experience.The outdoor spa and the lovely massage my wife enjoyed only added to the ambiance.We had wonderful, challenging fishing with our guide Anton. Good fish every day with the last day producing 6 and 7 pound browns, personal bests for each of us.We enjoyed the communal happy hour, breakfasts and dinner, getting to know our fellow travelers from all over the world.Finally, loved the dogs, and will always remember Felix chasing Indigo around the yard trying to retrieve my wife's socks which Indigo pilfered when I put them down for a second on the porch. Hilarious! Owen River lodge has our highest recommendation.

Room tip: All rooms are equally spectacular.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2018

It's difficult to find enough positive superlatives to describe Owen River Lodge. The hospitality was, without exception, above and beyond in expectations: congenial, helpful, and exceptionally competent. Chef Ryan would be difficult to top in any milieu. His creations were imaginative, delicious and well-presented. The fishing experience was without equal: the guides were tops: knowledgeable, helpful and delightful company. The facilities were immaculate, well-cared for, and located in an absolutely gorgeous setting. I doubt that anyone, anywhere could find a better, more enjoyable fishing holiday.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jhdowns7
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Had an incredible stay at Owen River Lodge in December. I am a pretty serious flyfisherman so the fishing aspect was the most important part and it truly exceeded my expectations! Felix did a great job matching us to a guide (Tom) that was just as passionate about trout as I am. As for the room and amenities, the word that comes to mind is perfection. The attention to detail was amazing. Great food and great company for dinners. The entire staff was awesome including the Labs! I tried to find something Felix got wrong but truly couldn’t think of anything. Overall, it was an incredible stay at an even more incredible place.

Date of stay: December 2017