All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing brown trout other guests his team world class new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing bucket list days fishing our honeymoon course dinner three days my wife and i have just
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

My first visit to NZ with my wife to fish and take a break. The rooms are impeccable, the food is 5 star, and the guides are world class. You need to have an open mind about your approach to fly fishing because nothing will prepare you for the stealth and approach required to catch the big South Island Browns! Special thanks to Chef Ryan and Joe for all of the special requests for my wife and her dietary needs. All of the coordination for 8-10 guests is handled by Felix the lodge owner. He will take good care of you during your stay.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 9 February 2018

My wife and I spent the final 5 nights of our three week trip around the South Island at Owen River.Truly the old adage of "saving the best for last" applies.The lodge is glorious, with every room designed for privacy and with spectacular views.Chef Ryan is simply world class.We have never had better food anywhere, whether at a lodge or in the many fine restaurants we have been privileged to experience.The outdoor spa and the lovely massage my wife enjoyed only added to the ambiance.We had wonderful, challenging fishing with our guide Anton. Good fish every day with the last day producing 6 and 7 pound browns, personal bests for each of us.We enjoyed the communal happy hour, breakfasts and dinner, getting to know our fellow travelers from all over the world.Finally, loved the dogs, and will always remember Felix chasing Indigo around the yard trying to retrieve my wife's socks which Indigo pilfered when I put them down for a second on the porch. Hilarious! Owen River lodge has our highest recommendation.

Room tip: All rooms are equally spectacular.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2018

It's difficult to find enough positive superlatives to describe Owen River Lodge. The hospitality was, without exception, above and beyond in expectations: congenial, helpful, and exceptionally competent. Chef Ryan would be difficult to top in any milieu. His creations were imaginative, delicious and well-presented. The fishing experience was without equal: the guides were tops: knowledgeable, helpful and delightful company. The facilities were immaculate, well-cared for, and located in an absolutely gorgeous setting. I doubt that anyone, anywhere could find a better, more enjoyable fishing holiday.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jhdowns7
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Had an incredible stay at Owen River Lodge in December. I am a pretty serious flyfisherman so the fishing aspect was the most important part and it truly exceeded my expectations! Felix did a great job matching us to a guide (Tom) that was just as passionate about trout as I am. As for the room and amenities, the word that comes to mind is perfection. The attention to detail was amazing. Great food and great company for dinners. The entire staff was awesome including the Labs! I tried to find something Felix got wrong but truly couldn’t think of anything. Overall, it was an incredible stay at an even more incredible place.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Brier K
Reviewed 3 January 2018

We spent three days at Owen River Lodge....wish we had two more. We flew to Nelson and had an easy and beautiful 1 hour 10 minute drive to Owen River. We were met by Felix and Keely's beautiful dogs and quickly got settled with a lovely glass of wine and gorgeous food. The rooms are comfortable and quaint and it is fun to eat with the other guests before and after fishing.....the best part may be Chef Ryan's master pieces but those are often overshadowed by the fish tails. The guides are tremendous. The rivers are unspoiled and clear. We heli-fished and drove into remote areas. The fish bite and so do the sand flies....but Felix will save the day with his natural bug repellent. If you do not feel like fishing, it is easy to get to Abel Tasman, which is a must. Also, Felix can pull out his mountain bikes and you can easily take a 12 KM ride that winds along the Owen RIver and all its glory. This fishing lodge isn't to be missed. If you REALLY like to fish, this is the place!

Date of stay: December 2017