All reviews chef ryan owen river fly fishing first class brown trout his team new zealand south island fishing experience great fishing days fishing meals prepared spent days felix host lodge casting
Reviewed 22 February 2017

After travelling the world for over 40 years nothing comes close to "Owen River Lodge"
Felix and his team delivered way above expectation on all fronts.
The food, accommodation, location and the warm environment provided a sensational holiday experience.
Fishing the local waters provided trout over 5lbs regularly and even produced 11.25lb for one of the guests.
I cannot wait to get back and enjoy the family atmosphere of the lodge where nothing is a problem for the host.

Room Tip: All Suites are perfect
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Owen river lodge exceeded ALL of my expectations! Felix and his dedicated team leave nothing to chance! The rooms, the food, the guides, the location and the personalised service ensure a memorable stay and leave you wanting more!! It was without question, a five star fly fishing experience that I will never forget. We are already looking to book for our next adventure and couldn't go past the Owen River Lodge, it was perfect!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2017

To call Owen Riven Lodge a fishing destination would be to neglect its many virtues. My wife and I went as complete novices, really more for the staggeringly beautiful placement near Nelson Lakes than anything else, and were shown enough of the rudiments of flyfishing to actually catch a trout of fair dimensions.

Felix and Keeley were wonderful hosts. Hanna, the only woman fishing guide in New Zealand, was a wonder, knowledgeable and infinitely patient with a couple of fishing nincompoops.

Finally, we have to praise the chef, Ryan After visiting New Zealand five years running, we agree he is as good a cook as any we've encountered. The man is seriously talented. He could do well anywhere.

We've already booked in for next year!

Room Tip: I believe they're all the same!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2017

If you are wanting to fly fish in one of the most amazing places in the world, definitely go to Owen River Lodge. Although the price is pretty pricey for young adults, I still think it is worth it. The food, the guides, Felix, the rest of the staff, not to mention the awesome scenery and fly fishing are truly incredible. My friend, Emily, and I were lucky enough to have Hannah as our guide. We had SO much fun with her and she really knew her stuff. We feel like we not only had the most amazing vacation and adventure, but we made friends that we will continue relationships with. I cannot express enough how much we loved it there and how much we loved our guide, Hannah. Everything was perfect!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2017

Everything was perfect! From the delicious meals and clean rooms (right down to the clean duvets) If you needed anything - it was provided. Laundry cleaned no charge. Felix and Keeley make you feel right at home. All of the staff were so friendly. Amanda was the evening hostess and is a true angel. The house keeping staff work quickly and quietly and don't miss a thing. We got to experience two chefs while we stayed there. Ryan and Jo and both were amazing. Jo even has wonderful art for sale in a nearby town. She's an angel. If you're looking for a wonderful place to relax and fish this is it!

Room Tip: All rooms outstanding.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends